passed entry exam....Forgot to put finance forms in!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

juliette

passed entry exam....Forgot to put finance forms in!

Post by juliette »

My son passed his entrance exam to go to Bablake in Coventry. Unfortunately when i sent the exam fees off i forgot to enclose the forms to apply for bursary assistance.....I recieved a congratulating letter for a fee paying place. I rang them straight away to explain my mistake,and was told to write a letter explaing situation,along with financial matters,which i did. After waiting two weeks without reply,i phoned the school up and was told that they were still chasing the 'World' for forms. Waiting to see who excepts offers etc, and that it looked unlikely that i would get any financial assistance. I feel now,that i have let my son down,by this huge mistake.I would have to pay the full wack this year(8000),and hope i get financial assistance next year. Surely if he was good enough to pass the exam then he would be entitled to assistance.
The school is a selective independent school,within Coventry foundation.
Could somebody please give me advice.....Could i appeal if no bursary was offered. I am so worried. :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Lots of the independent schools have only a limited number of bursary places and they are awarded seperately.
it depends on the school but it may be that the bursary places have already been awarded to others -(on academic grounds or other grounds) and that a standard place can't be swapped to a bursary place.
Not sure - you would have to check with the policy of the school and maybe reapply for one next year.

Post by Guest »

Hello Juliette
I don't know anything about this school in particular but I'm afraid that you have misunderstood the general position regarding financial assistance at independent schools.

Since the abolition of government funded "assisted places" any financial help comes from the school itself. In other words, unless the school has substantial endowments it comes from the other parents. This means that bursaries are limited; some schools can't offer them at all or might manage one or two a year. Where they are available they are normally awarded on the basis of ability (above that needed to merely pass the entrance exam) as well as financial need. For example, scholarships may be topped up in cases of financial need. Don't assume, therefore, that your son will be given one next year.

Also, as you will see elsewhere on this forum, the income limits above which bursaries are unavailable are often very low. Many people are unable to afford fees but ineligable for assistance. Don't know if that includes you.

This is something you will have to discuss again with the school, perhaps once the current admissions scramble has died down.
tracey

missed bursary

Post by tracey »

Juliette, chase this for all it might be worth this year, as bursaries are only awarded at 11+ and by Ogden Trust rather than school itself (school controls scholarships). therefore next year will be too late. I'm not sure what happens to pupils who pass 12+, but those who accept 11+ place can't apply for funding later. We didn't even apply for bursary with second son as turned down for eldest for bursary and financial enquiry sooooo intrusive! Resigned to being skint, B is so worth it though!

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all your advice...Still waiting. The school has to redistribute the monies that is not used by parents, who have decided not to accept a place for their child. It was my own fault for not getting those forms in!
Anticipating between 10% and 30%...fingers crossed. :roll:
Interested bystander

Post by Interested bystander »

Please could you expand on your "Ogden Trust" comment Tracey?

We are considering Bablake for entry next year (September 2008) and assumed the school was responsible for bursaries as well as scholarhips! It might be useful to know the bigger picture.

Thanks in advance
tracey

Post by tracey »

The Ogden Trust is a charity I believe, that supports chosen schools with bursaries. I had a leaflet about it but can't find it now, however, I do know that there is a link on the Bablake website to information about it. Two of my son's friends are bursary holders, one with 20%, one with 85%
juliette

BURSARYS.......DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING!!!!!

Post by juliette »

Hello Tracey.
I had a look at the Ogden Trust link...Still non the wiser.
I am still waiting to see if Busary is available. My son has still got his place,the school is still chasing parents..He is on a list,and has been placed in order of merit. I assume that means,with the brightest at the top! I can't help feeling now,that my son has failed,but of course he hasn't,he wouldn't have passed the test. I asked the school to tell me how well he had done....They will not give anything away,but said that he would not have been accepted if he had not passed...Obviously......
All i want to advise,epecially to anyone who is thinking of Bablake,dont believe all you read about the Bursary's.....You will be lucky if you recieve 10%...Whatever your income,unless your child(apologise for this)is a boff! Anticipating 10% if that. There are bright,very bright and exceptionally bright children out there,Joshua is smart,and very bright..So maybe he is somewhere in the middle of that merit list......Its maddening!!!! :x
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

Juilette
If you look at the ISC report (independent equivalent of OFSTED) for Bablake it does say that bursaries of 10% are offered. Also we were told bursaries are only available if your household income is less than £30,000.
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

Juilette

I also think you are getting confused between bursaries and scholarships, bursaries are rewarded purely on financial (income) basis. So whether your child is a boff or not will have no bearing on a bursary.