11+ Disappointment!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mum C

11+ Disappointment!

Post by Mum C »

Can anybody give me some advice, my son just failed the 11+ by 3 marks on the maths paper, his score was 112 (pass mark 115), but he scored 121 in Verbal Reasoning (pass mark 120) and 140 in Non Verbal (pass mark 120). He's always been in the top sets at primary school and was on level 4's in year 5 which we were told were well above the expected levels for his age (he's not 11 until May). The school didn't appeal for him as they claim that this maths result is a good reflection of his ability - so why is he in the top set??? I am now having to appeal under my own steam, I have made appropriate comments as to his ability and potential, his high levels last year, and other areas of the curriculum where he does particularly well. Does anyone know what our chances of getting through are? I'm not a pushy Mum, just disappointed for him as it's what he really wanted, I know he'll do OK at secondary school and we're told he'll be in the top stream but I think that our local grammar school would give him the focus he needs and the opportunity to show his best after coming so close....thanks.
Donald Rumsfeld

Post by Donald Rumsfeld »

With those scores I think you could have a strong case if you appeal. Although the school did not initially appeal for him, will they they provide supporting evidence regarding his maths ability for you if you appeal? This could be key. His marks seem close enough to a pass that a successful case might be made. Good luck! :!:
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

[quote="Donald Rumsfeld"]With those scores I think you could have a strong case if you appeal. Although the school did not initially appeal for him, will they they provide supporting evidence regarding his maths ability for you if you appeal? This could be key. His marks seem close enough to a pass that a successful case might be made. Good luck! :!:[/quote]
Thanks for the reply Donald, sorry I didn't respond earlier but we've been off-line for a while (new PC etc), unfortunately the school are not being very helpful so we're on our own with this one. Appeal hearing in less than 2 weeks - fingers crossed!!

Post by Guest »

Worried Mum wrote:
Donald Rumsfeld wrote:With those scores I think you could have a strong case if you appeal. Although the school did not initially appeal for him, will they they provide supporting evidence regarding his maths ability for you if you appeal? This could be key. His marks seem close enough to a pass that a successful case might be made. Good luck! :!:
Thanks for the reply Donald, sorry I didn't respond earlier but we've been off-line for a while (new PC etc), unfortunately the school are not being very helpful so we're on our own with this one. Appeal hearing in less than 2 weeks - fingers crossed!!

Love to know how this lady got on - My son had similar scores, his Maths being 113, VR 134 and NVR 119 - We failed on appeal simply because we didn't have any extenuating circumstances i.e. Illness, Dyslexia etc....it seems my son could of achieved 100% in 2 papers but because he didn't quite make the grade on Mths and missed by 2, that they were not going to allow him a place.
Gemma

Post by Gemma »

I believe I am right in thinking that this lady had a successful appeal. I really feel for you in this difficult situation. Apart from the ombudsman route, have you looked into applying to other 'better' schools in your area. I am not sure how it works where you are, but here in Canterbury area you can apply to other Grammar schools if you didn't pass, be automatically turned down because of non qualification, and then appeal this decision.

Peter on the Kent site knows a great deal about how the system works here in Kent.

Good luck! Hope you get the best outcome for your son

G
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now