Ridiculous letter regarding absence

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BarnetDad

Ridiculous letter regarding absence

Post by BarnetDad »

Well guys, the halo may be beginning to slip. I guess it was just a matter of time...

We've just received a letter from head of KS3 regarding our request for two absences - one a hospital appointment, the other a ballet exam (neither of which would take more than an hour from a school day, and neither of which we have any control of). Although permission is granted, she seems to spend most of the letter explaining that "full attendance at school is a legal requirement" and "essential for children to fulfill their potential".

But the bit that takes the biscuit is "We would therefore hope not to receive similar requests for absence this year"...

Er, so I suppose violin exams are out.

Also, by curious coincidence, we received a letter at the same time explaining that pupils in the school play would be missing a whole day of timetabled lessons for their technical rehearsal.

These schools go on about how a "broad education" is their passion and worth more than just exam results, but maybe it's just talk? Has being No. 1 in the league tables corrupted their views?
hermanmunster

Re: Ridiculous letter regarding absence

Post by hermanmunster »

probably a standard letter - reckon you would get the same for third and fourth absences too!

I know kids at GS who have had multiple hospital appointments for one reason or another - just one of those things and doesn't help if child is ill to get moaned at by school!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hmm, my dd has music exams two days in a row the week after next. We have no control over this either. I have not yet been organised enought to put in the requests because i am too busy with younger dd exams but I will be interested to see what feedback I get. She has been getting little tests and assessments in every subject at the end of each topic so they must have a really clear idea by now who is tracking and who is falling behind. Hopefully this year for you means the next four weeks and not the academic year! Have you had a parents evening yet? DG
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Most definitely a standard letter - that almost makes it worse in my view.

DG - I'm sure she's talking about the academic year. I'm quite incensed at her hypocrisy. I'm sure I'll calm down once I've had another glass of wine. Will be interested to see if your guys are better at writing letters ;-)
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

That is such a shame, perhap's a letter or chat face to face to clarify what they do and that it will require the occasional day off?

My Midget has had 5 days off school so far to take part in some commercial jobs and the school have been fine. What I did do though, was at the beginning of Sept. talk to the head, explain what he does, that it's the occasional day, so then it wasn't just sprung upon him when we needed authority for the license! Midget had to make sure he copies up all missed classwork and homework but that's been fine and we very much appreciate the support from the school.

It does sadden me that then other's are so against it, surely it should be encouraged? I would very much love my children to be talented in the music deparment like your's. I do hope you arrange a meeting and hopefully get some more sense from the head. :)
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Acting, I presume? Interesting how many small children get lots of work - presumably because they have a maturity beyond their apparent years... DD2's best friend has been doing some work, but I think the parents have been lying about the reasons for absence!

Still feeling wound up. I think it's the highfalutin pomposity (is there any other sort?!) of it that is perhaps what's psychologically gnawing at me...
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

If it was indeed acting work Barnetdad, then there would be no way they could lie because their LA would need the school's agreement on absence for a license to be granted. However, the same could not be said for most photographic work, which is mostly unlicensed. Any parent who decide's to lie about things to school are asking for trouble further along the line! Most of Midget's work has been unrelated to his height actually, has more than once had to be propped up on some form of stool though :lol:

I do think if you go in and speak face to face with the teacher's in authority that it can make all the difference, has got to be worth trying x
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

Barnet Dad,
I wouldnt get so het up about it Im sure its just a standard letter.
You could phone up the head of year and speak to them about the fact you were concerned about the tone of the letter and that it implied disapproval and you wanted to make sure that this wasnt the case.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

As you can see from my forum name I'm not from your area, just popping in to relate my experience. I had written to DD's school asking for some time off due to a family emergency. The Head of her year rang me at home to say that she could have the time off but I would need to fill out the relevant form. The form was a standard one the school sends out every time someone requests time off. The form had boxes you needed to tick to indicate why time off was being asked for. My particular reason was not listed. The Head of Year said she was ringing me to explain this so that when I received the form I would not think that the school was not sympathetic and had assumed I was lying in order to go on holiday. I was very touched by her thoughtfulness. As this happened very soon after my DD joined school it reassured me that the school was a caring one.
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

@hopeful5 - That's a nice phrasing, I may well try that.
@Bromley Mum - What a lovely touch. An increasingly rare thing in this day and age.