Hertfordshire music call backs - original music?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Caro

Hertfordshire music call backs - original music?

Post by Caro »

Hi There
Does anyone know if photocopies of the music are allowed - or does it need to be original?
Cheers
C
NorthLondonMum

Re: Hertfordshire Music Call Backs - Orignial Music?

Post by NorthLondonMum »

If it's an illegal copy I would not risk it. It's illegal and you can't predict whether they would be cross about it. You don't want your child upset, it has got to be worth buying or borrowing the book(s).
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I think that photocopying 10% of a book for (non-commercial) study purposes is allowed. I used to be a university librarian and that was the long-standing rule a few years ago.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://mpaonline.org.uk/faqs/Printed_Mu ... music.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this may be helpful
WP

Post by WP »

The rules for printed music are more restrictive than for books. From section 32 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988:
(3)Copyright is not infringed by anything done for the purposes of an examination by way of setting the questions, communicating the questions to the candidates or answering the questions, provided that the questions are accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement.

(4)Subsection (3) does not extend to the making of a reprographic copy of a musical work for use by an examination candidate in performing the work.
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Yoyo123's link sets it all out in detail.

I don't think performance at an audition counts as study purposes. Also if a whole piece is being played I think that is a complete work, even if taken from a book containing a number of pieces. The ABRSM grade books have a printed reminder on every page that photocopying music is illegal, and photocopies are not allowed in the exams.
Caro

Re: Hertfordshire music call backs - original music?

Post by Caro »

Think it is a trip to chappells this afternoon! Nice treat after the exam today - we can go to London to see the lights, visit chappells and have some supper :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am glad you have decided to get the music Caro. Schools that offer music places are looking for children who are serious about music and will make an active contribution to music when they join the school. If I was on the panel of judiges and having to choose between hundreds of applicants for a handful of places I would be looking for evidence that a child came from a family who was making a commitment to music. I don't think going in with photocopied music would really be sending the right message. Musicroom.com and Examdots.com both offer next day delivery on most grade pieces so it is not like the music is hard to get hold of. Good liuck. What day is your audition? DG
Caro

Post by Caro »

Music purchased without any difficulty and now we can relax.... well almost apart from dd's nerves (and mine). We are at WBS on Wednesday.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Good luck, let us know how you get on. What instrument are you playing?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now