Passed by two marks.....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

Passed by two marks.....

Post by katel »

My daughter got 117 marks for maths in the Kent Test - the pass mark was 115. I have heard a lot of people both in real life and on here saying how unfair it is that their child failed by one or two marks. Am I supposed to say that it's unfair that my child passed by 2 marks and that she shouldn't take up her grammar school place?
katel

Post by katel »

Sorry, I meant to post this in Everything Else - if it gets any replies could someone from admin move it for me?
guest0

Post by guest0 »

well you would not know would you , you are one of the lucky ones . would you be complaining if your daughter failed by 2 marks, according to you no you wouldnt.
im sure if your daughter missed by 2 marks you would be quite happy for her to go to a comp, and not even appeal, arnt you lucky not to be in the position others are in ......................
im sure the pain others feel when their child misses by so little a margin is devastating, especially when they know their childs abilities,...therfore they have the right to say they only missed by 2 marks, after all this could have been 1 question.......................
im sure if your daughter guessed a couple of questions , she had a 50/50 chance of getting those 2 points over , or under......you will never know ........................

Re: Passed by two marks.....

Post by Guest »

katel wrote:My daughter got 117 marks for maths in the Kent Test - the pass mark was 115. I have heard a lot of people both in real life and on here saying how unfair it is that their child failed by one or two marks. Am I supposed to say that it's unfair that my child passed by 2 marks and that she shouldn't take up her grammar school place?
I saw this by chance, and while I am not a bleeding soul, I have to say that this is unusually cruel and with no obvious justification: Has anyone told you that it is unfair that your child passed by two marks? They only say that they think it is unfair (and I believe they mean life in general) that their child did not pass by one or two marks. The latter statement does not imply the former, as they are not mutually exclusive! It could imply (if you decided to over-stretch it) that your child passed more confidently than you think, by 3-4 points (if you are following my train of thought on this...)

INEX
guest00000

Post by guest00000 »

guest0 - you didn't use a different username on a Kent forum yesterday did you? - you sound very familiar!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Guest0 -

Yes it is sad when those that deserve to reach qualifying standard don't but we are all pleased when others do - that's what this forum is about - celebrating with some and supporting others -

Katel - if that is happening it's very sad - your child will be fine - ignore the comments! Give your child a big hug

Post by Guest »

Katel,

It's not unusual for parents of children who missed out on grammar to be bitter. You have to prepare for all manner of nasty comments which appear to have been practised by parents in readiness for when they speak to you following the results.
I happened to know that my son had a very good pass but I decided not to tell anyone. Keep your dignity. Do what I did, just smile and wave, smile and wave.
Not wanting to sound cocky about it, my heart bleeds for all the bright children who just miss out but don't take away from the kids who all worked damned hard to achieve what they did. No-one gets in on luck. Supposedly luck evens itself out throughout the tests but you will still end up with some loses in the current system.
for goodness sake

that old chestnut

Post by for goodness sake »

Guest 0

Well said. Some people are never happy. Parents of those children who did pass, just content yourself with patting each other on the back. These forums are a useful tool, and there is no useful purpose in putting down other parents in order that you can have your pound of flesh.
to guest00000 - it was I who posted on the other forum, not this parent,
In fact you will see that forumadmin have taken it off, as my question
had been answered in full, and disatisfied parents were just using this as a chance to feast off me.

I know it must be difficult for you but just try and contain any comments that are intended to upset others.

Re: Passed by two marks.....

Post by Guest »

katel wrote:My daughter got 117 marks for maths in the Kent Test - the pass mark was 115. I have heard a lot of people both in real life and on here saying how unfair it is that their child failed by one or two marks. Am I supposed to say that it's unfair that my child passed by 2 marks and that she shouldn't take up her grammar school place?
Katel.. my daughter got more than that and didn't get a place.. and thats just tough. Well done on your daughter. She will have a great start. It is not unfair.. it is a gamble and this is the risk we take in supporting this system. Do not worry that her pass mark means a great deal at this point. My son scraped it and finished top of his year. Our bright children.. and mine included are not heading for the scrap heap as some seem to fear for not gaining the places we wanted. We need to support their learning throughout their schooling. I would have liked this little head start for her but it was not to be. I am happy for you.

Post by Guest »

that ******* was not a rude word by the way..I wrote gam-ble and it has converted it...hopefully the hyphen will prevent it now... :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now