Essex VR test: Writing on the question paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

carolmiller

Essex VR test: Writing on the question paper

Post by carolmiller »

Hi everyone, my DD took test at chelmsford girls yesterday, in the VR section they were told not to do any working out on the question paper, but to use a scrap paper. Obviously this is more time consuming and so I am wondering if this was a mistake by the invigilater or was this the norm across the borough. Can anyone put me out of my misery?
pxjain

Re: vr test yesterday

Post by pxjain »

My DS sat in Colchester Royal Grammer. He did get a scrape paper, but was told that can also use the question paper if needed. They were told notto write on the answer sheet
carolmiller

Post by carolmiller »

Exactly, we have been through this before as already have DS at Kegs, what I really need is someone who had their DD take the test at CCHS yesterday to see if they were told same (we were in blue section in afternoon), good luck with Colchester!
HPDad

Post by HPDad »

Hi, first time post! I have just asked DD who sat the exam at Chelmsford yesterday (green section). She was told to do workings on scrap paper or the question paper.
KB

Post by KB »

If you are concerned I would phone CSSE & explain what happened & ask their advice,
If you still think your DD may have been disadvantaged I would put it in writing to CSSE staright away in case you decide to use it as grounds for appeal later.
rastacat

Post by rastacat »

My son sat test at KEGS on Saturday morning. He was advised that working out was to be done on scrap paper and NOT on answer paper, but they wre not specifically told NOT to do working out on Question paper. I can't see why there would be objections to jotting on question paper, unless they were to be reused, which I doubt somehow, and agree that scrap paper is inefficient and potentially confusing.
moved

Post by moved »

I've asked my pupils, they were all given scrap paper (several schools) and told that they could use the paper if they wanted to, but not that they had to. All of mine wrote on the question paper.

I will try and find out if anyone was in the same section as your daughter. I had 7 girls who sat at CCHS.
Chai

Post by Chai »

One of my pupils did the test in the afternoon at KEGs. He said the VR test had to be stopped momentarily because some children found that their VR question paper had been written on. Fresh question papers were then handed out quickly. He was given a piece of paper to work on separately but was not told it was obligatory to do this. He worked on the question paper in general but said he found the extra paper useful for a few questions.
Be9

Post by Be9 »

Hi, first time post so hopefully clear.

We had a similar experience last year with our DS who took the paper at KEGS (one of the smaller rooms).

Firstly, we have a letter from the CSSE which states that
Children could either write their workings on the Verbal Reasoning question booklet or on scrap paper.
This applies to last year, so I would contact the CSSE to clarify that this still applies.

We asked if our DS could take the alternative VR paper as we felt he had been disadvantaged. The CSSE refused this request as it is a matter of policy that once a paper has been started, the alternative cannot be sat.

The CSSE did pass our complaint to the individual school - ie. KEGS - for investigation. The school did respond reasonably quickly, and to subsequent letters. The school did admit that the invigilator had used an
alternative
script for the VR which did not mention the question booklet. I suspect this was on the front of the VR question paper. The CSSE provides a pack of instructions for each invigilator. The CSSE pack includes mandatory scripts for the invigilator to read out (word for word) before each paper. The VR script included the statement
You can do your working out on either the question booklet or on the rough paper
. The invigilator did not use this script.

I won't go into any more details on this as this was last year so again things are probably different this year.

If you to pursue this, I would suggest do everything in writing (keep copies of your letters and any replies). Do not assume anything, try to confirm information from another source, be tenacious. Go through with your DD exactly what instructions were given to your DD (did she, or anyone else, ask any questions) - this can be difficult as taking an exam is stressful. It may be useful if you can find anyone else who was in the room. Best to do this all as soon as possible as people forget details over time.

In our case we decided not to appeal as our DS got a place in Westcliff which we were (and are) very, very happy with.
dd34

Post by dd34 »

My DS sat at CCHS on Sat afternoon and on blue desk. Before the test I rang the consortium and they said you can write on the question paper, which i told her. However my daughter has told me that they were given a piece of paper and told specifically to do the working out on the paper. She is not sure if they said not to specifically write on the question paper but certainly she thought they could not write on the Question paper. I am so annoyed and not sure what to do as she would definitely have lost marks as she is used to writing on the question paper and disadvantaged as every mark counts. please help what can be done if anything.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now