Michael morpurgo

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sally40

Michael morpurgo

Post by sally40 »

My soon to be 13 year old ds loves these books and wondered if anyone can suggest a similar style of author that we could try as he has exhausted the collection and needs to extend his reading thankyou.
drummer

Re: Michael morpurgo

Post by drummer »

my suggestion is to visit your nearest Waterstones. The staff there actually READ the books and I have found that they are brilliant at suggesting which books to try next. Have not been able to get such good advive ANYWHERE else (including librarians, parents of similar aged children, teachers etc).
Milla

Post by Milla »

Anthony Horowitz? Robert Muchamore?
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Have to agree about Waterstones. Nothing quite like asking a human, in the flesh who has actually read the books..... I found them incredibly knowledgeable. Well done Waterstones :wink:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Same for our local INDEPENDENT bookshop - absolutely brilliant, knowledgeable, helpful and will order anything which usually arrives the next day. Guess where I do a lot of my Christmas shopping......books anybody!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I certainly agree with asking at a bookshop or indeed, your local library. Sadly, my own DS has suddenly gone off reading completely, having been 'a book a night' sort of boy so I'll be interested to see the suggestions.
Ellis Delmonte, maybe?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi,

I agree with comments about staff at bookshops... and would like to add the staff at libraries (at least, the librarians who have had this job since some years and are avid readers. My favourite librarian at our local children's library is excellent for recommanding books to young people... but her knowledge about books for adults is far more limited... I think it is just great that she reads so many children and teenage books to be able to advise our dear little ones.

We were recently visiting an independent school for boys and in the library there, the librarian had this little game: the child tells his favourite author... and she then gives him a pencil and introduces him to an author he might enjoy, based on the name previously cited ( I was very happy with such a brilliant idea! :P ).

My DS said Morpurgo... and she showed him a book written by Tim Bowler. We have never read this author, but your DS may enjoy his books... :?:

By the way, for the Morpurgo's fan living in or near London, his book 'Warhorse' has been transformed into a play actually played at the natioanl theatre. Here is the website:
http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/warhorse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anybody seen this play?

I have read also that Stephen Spielberg has bought the rights to transform this book into a film... We'll have to wait a bit to see his film but that might be great! :)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

ourmaminhavana wrote:I certainly agree with asking at a bookshop or indeed, your local library. Sadly, my own DS has suddenly gone off reading completely, having been 'a book a night' sort of boy so I'll be interested to see the suggestions.
Ellis Delmonte, maybe?
sorry, ourmaninhavana...
it takes me ages to write messages and by the time that I finished mine (without seeing yours not yet posted) and submitting it, you had given the idea of librarians :oops:

PS: my man is in Guyana!! :lol: :lol:
Milla

Post by Milla »

Maurice Gleitzman, too, and one offs like Goodnight Mr Tom, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, The Book Thief.
And OUR Waterstones is heaving with knowledgeable staff, too!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

ourmaminhavana wrote: Sadly, my own DS has suddenly gone off reading completely, having been 'a book a night' sort of boy so I'll be interested to see the suggestions.
Ellis Delmonte, maybe?
You may find some other ideas on this thread:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 6&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ourmaninhavana, I really do hope your DS will again love reading. Why not trying to share some books together, for exemple while listening to the corresponding talking book? It is great !... This is a time of the day I really enjoy and look forward to! (with or without talking book).

The only problem sometimes with talking books is that we are avid to know what comes next so we go faster than the reader and have to wait for him at the bottom of the page on the right... :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now