3-D Shapes - Help!!!

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Optimist

3-D Shapes - Help!!!

Post by Optimist »

Hi

I am trying to help DS1 (Year 3) to understand how many faces and corners on 3-d shapes. Are there any flashy websites where I could see such images and show them to my DS?
hermanmunster

Re: 3-D Shapes - Help!!!

Post by hermanmunster »

oo dunno - reckon we learnt best from making the shapes or finding samples of them.....
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

I went to Early Learning, Toysrus, WH Smiths and the Works, and could not find anything.
moved

Post by moved »

Have a look on line for Polydrons, spelling may not be correct. They are worth the money, mine have had them since they were two or three and a great many adults and children have played with them for ages. I use them still with years 7 and 8.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Try the links below. Some of the information given is aimed at older children but the rotating images with no. of vertices, edges is good practice and fun for kids to experiment with.

http://www.learner.org/interactives/geometry/3d.html
http://www.learner.org/interactives/geo ... tonic.html

Re toys: the Montessori geometric solids (with cards) is a good resource to introduce the topic of 3d shapes, faces and vertices, edges etc.

Don't pay the rip-off price as advertised by some of the 'big' merchants, though- you can buy them much cheaper on ebay. But they're also fairly easy to make: (excluding the sphere), just print off shape outlines from the computer; laminate, cut and sellotape to make the 3D shape. :wink: