bursary

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
naijaparent

bursary

Post by naijaparent »

Hi all i'm new on this forum and would like some advice on bursaries.My son got admission into st benedict's school in ealing on full fee. However since we have 3 other children we cannot afford the fees.The school said that we should have applied for bursary at application stage,which we did not do.We would really like him to go to this school if we can find some other form of financial assistance especially if there are those aimed at black and ethnic minorities.
PATIENT

Fees paid

Post by PATIENT »

Hello. Your posting is very confusing! You have stated that your son has recieved full fees for his education.Then you ask whether there is any organisation/charity who would provide financial assistance. Do you mean for your other children? I would be very surprised if you do find such assistance....We could all get our childs/childrens fees paid!!! GOOD LUCK ANYWAY. :roll:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Patient

I think you have misunderstood naijaparent's post. The child has obtained a place at the school but it requires payment of full fees, which the parents cannot afford to pay. They now realise that they should have applied for a bursary along with their original application.

Naijaparent

I have a bad feeling that you may not find an alternative souce of funds at this stage. I hope someone else on the Forum may be able to help you more than I can.

Sally-Anne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I seem to remember there was some discussion a few weeks ago about someone getting a place and not realising that the application for a bursary assisted place had to be sent at the same time as the original application and that a normal full fees place couldn't easily be converted to a bursary place as the numbers are v limited.
Not sure if they got any further with that -can they let us know if they had any success??

Re: bursaries for specific groups - these can be tricky to find and tend to be from the school and on the basis of occupation (eg clergy bursaries) or residence (eg Giggleswick have some for very local kids in specific parishes) - they tend not to be ethnicity based - at least I've not seen any that are.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Another thought - have you asked St Benedicts School if they know of any other sources of funds? They are education professionals, after all, and may have more information to hand?

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Yes Sally-Anne. You are right,i did not read it properly. :lol:
I posted on appeals forum because i did the same thing as Narjaparent!
I never posted finance forms with exam fees. My son got a fee paying place,also. I realized my mistake straight away,and was told to send the forms in ASAP. This was three weeks ago! I should find out this week,as to whether i will recieve any bursary. My advice to Narjaparent is to phone up the school and ask whether it would be ok to send the forms in late. It maybe too late for her. I was quick to rectify my mistake though.
I assume schools allocate bursaries/scholarships as soon as exam results are in,and before letters of pass/fail are sent out to parents. This is why it is important to enclose all forms! I am anticipating 10-30%, if that! Stupid mistake i know,could be costly too. :oops:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

We all make mistakes. Someone once said to me that we make all our my mistakes on our first child, and that's certainly true of me! All you can do is try to sort it out to the best of your ability, as you have done.

Good luck - let us know here/on Appeals what happens.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now