leaving Tiffin Girls for a 6th Form College

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Louise2

leaving Tiffin Girls for a 6th Form College

Post by Louise2 »

My DD wants to leave Tiffin and go to a 6th form College. She has been happy at the school but now feels the pressure is really quite intense and she says the 6th formers all look miserable. The learning environment for the 6th form isn't particularly nice, all recent substantial money has been spent on drama and music facilities. The fact that it is all girls is a major factor in her decision, also its very maths and science based. My concern is the college environment, I don't want her grades to suffer because of this new found freedom and I wonder how geared up the college would be with university entrance. There are over 1600 hundred students at the college and 275 in the 6th form. I do think its healthy to mix from 6th form but in a way it seems a waste to leave such a good school.
KeepCool

Re: leaving Tiffin Girls for a 6th Form College

Post by KeepCool »

Hi - my friend's daughter left Nonsuch, for similar reasons, a few years ago. She went to a college and was much happier in a mixed and less-pressured environment. The college teachers thought very highly of her and were very supportive. She did not, however, do particularly well grade-wise and was not able to go to the uni of her choice.

Her daughter maintains that she's glad she left Nonsuch, despite everything.

It's a tough decision.
moved

Post by moved »

I ended up with a private pupil in a similar situation. She'd had enough of her grammar environment. She joined her brother's comprehensive school. She didn't get the university of her choice, but is at university now. As she was unhappy in her grammar she probably wouldn't have done well enough there either.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Louise

DW is a teacher in a 6th Form College in the West Midlands and every year finds that there are always quite a significant number of students who have decided to move from one of the B/Ham KE Grammars or the Independent KES or KEHS schools.

Generally the students who have decided to move do very well and in many cases feel that their academic achievements are better than would be achieved is they stayed in a grammar or Independent school environment. Most are a lot happier in the more relaxed college environment. DW's view is that if they they are competent and work hard they will always get the grades they want and need - the only risk is the distractions of the more realxed environment.

The bonus of the college environment is that due to the greater mix of abilities and focus/dedication in the college environment, there is often a better chance of getting interviews and offers from top universities including Oxbridge for the hard working bright students. Last year DW had a real mix of grades at A2 (due to allowing some students to take the course with weak GCSE's), however she still had quite a few who got excellent grades Oxbridge offers. She noted that she was able top predict this quite early on in the course and year!

I would say that if your DD really wants to switch to a 6th form college then you should support her
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies, she has alot to think about and I will support her in her decision, as much as I like to think I can make the decision, ultimately it is hers. The college in question does have a good reputation locally. The decision may be made for her if she doesn't get the grades needed for Tiffin 6th form next year - 8 A* to C with at least 4 being A*, A.
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

My daughter decided to stay at GS for 6th form. However, one year ago she was certain that she wanted to leave. We supported her decision to look and apply for 6th form colleges and really left the final decision to her. She achieved the results to stay and decided to stay at her school. She is really happy she did and so are we!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now