Forest School - Pre Interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nefertiti

Forest School - Pre Interview

Post by Nefertiti »

Hi
We have an interview next month. My son's piano teacher told him to read a newspaper before the exam. I think that 's over the top for a 10 years' old. I assume they will ask him: what he likes about the school, what are his favourite subjects, where he sees himself in the future careerwise etc. Pls let me know. Thanks
cocoa0101

Re: Forest School - Pre Interview

Post by cocoa0101 »

HI - I have no experience at your particular school but here are a few things to think about:
- It is not uncommon to ask about some recent news topic - perhaps get a copy of First News - an excellent summary of the weeks news for children;
- talk about a favourite book;
- hobbies;
- family;
- what would you do if you won the lottery or if you won a certain sum of money, which charity would you donate to and why;
- one of my pupils was recently asked 'can you bend air!' No right answer expected, but can you argue your case?

These interviews are not designed to catch your child out,- it's important to be themsleves and to come across enthusiastic and confident.

Hope that helps.
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

Hi, thanks for the advice. It is helpful. I also want him to be natural during the interview. I have asked him to think about what he would say if they ask him about the school, what he likes to do ... I suppose I'll get him to the check the latest news; they might ask him if he would have liked to protest against the Uni fee increase.
I just hope he does not panick and lose his words. He would be a shame as he likes to chat a lot.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I agree, they do like children to 'be up' with current affairs.

Get your son to watch Newsround (on BBC 1) as well, it's a good way of keeping up with the news without it being too onerous.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Hi Nefertiti. Our DS has already had his interview at Forest and it was pretty informal - really nothing to be worried about. He was asked about favourite subjects in school, what his interests are outside of school, what authors he likes to read, what he would like to be when he grows up, etc. They interview the child with the parents sitting in so you will have a chance to ask any questions. We also encouraged DS to be ready to ask some questions himself (e.g. how much homework he would have, how much swimming he would be able to do). The interviewer definitely wanted to know which extracurricular activities DS might be interested in - Forest has a huge range of activities and they want children who will participate.

I agree that it's worth being aware of major news stories, though I don't recall DS being asked anything of that kind.

I have posted before about interviews - you might find some useful comments in the thread here:
http://elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11pl ... 31&t=14470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck to your DS.
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

Hi Muffinmonster
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful. :) That's more in line with what I thought. I'll get him to think about what he wants to say about the school, hobbies, favourite subjects, authors...... That should do it.

Have a nice day
Nefertiti
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

Hi Muffinmonster
Happy New Year

You were correct, nothing to worry. He was mainly asked to comment on his favourite subjects, extra curriculum activites (especially sports), re his school, how many children, classes per year and if they had separare pace groups in maths.
We did not have time to talk about his favourite books. He forgot to mention little things but it was nice to see that he was handling better himself than what I thought.

Now the exam is next week, no real preparation since the grammar school exam. We will see how he does as this is a back up plan.

Good Luck to your child.
Nefertiti
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Hi Nefertiti. Glad to hear it went well. We haven't done much preparation since the 11+ either - we seem to have run out of steam a bit. Will be concentrating on the English composition this week, I think - DS's maths is pretty solid (thank goodness).
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

ah ah same here not much steam left :lol:
Maths should not be an issue too (if he does not rush :) ). For English, he will be doing last year's test as a practice and I'll have to remind him to use exciting words and check spelling/punctuation!!!
Good Luck Nefertiti
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now