need advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum of five

need advice

Post by mum of five »

hello, my son has not passed his eleven plus ,his score was 119 on the first paper and 113 on the other one . I hope i have posted in the right place... am not sure where to start from to appeal for him. i have been told he is gifted and talented in maths. Not sure about his predicted sats. please guide me as to what i need to do to get this appeal going. thanku in advance :mrgreen: just like to add he did not actually sleep well night before the second testbecause my 3 yearold was up all night crying ....night terrors ,aswell he does do that sometimes and unfortunately it had to be that night.So my son did go to school a little upset, he was also upset about who he got seated next to on that day . According to him the child next to him was too fidgety and nervous and was breathing very heavily all through the test .So he came home crying saying he felt he could not concentrate.Im not sure if all this is even relevent or not .Sorry for rambling on ........any advice pls. :?
Last edited by mum of five on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Re: need advice

Post by Etienne »

Hi, mum of five

With a score of 119, you don't need to spend too much time explaining the second test score.

Academic evidence will be what really matters. If you've finished reading the Q&As, you will have seen this:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to establish how supportive the current headteacher will be. Make an appointment to discuss a possible appeal with the head. If it's a Bucks school, he/she will have an appeal form.
Etienne
mum of five

Post by mum of five »

Etienne wrote:Hi, mum of five

With a score of 119, you don't need to spend too much time explaining the second test score.

Academic evidence will be what really matters. If you've finished reading the Q&As, you will have seen this:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to establish how supportive the current headteacher will be. Make an appointment to discuss a possible appeal with the head. If it's a Bucks school, he/she will have an appeal form.
thanku for your quick reply, i will be making an appointment with the head teacher tomorrow. Wish me luck.
mum of five

Post by mum of five »

I wanted to ask if anybody knows how long before i get an appeal date and also how long does it take the pan el to reach a decision? Do they let us know within a week or does it take longer.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Once they've received your appeal form, I think they'll give you a date for the hearing fairly quickly. The earliest applicants tend to get the earliest slots.

The letter with the panel's decision will arrive at the earliest within 2 or 3 days, at the latest within a week.
Etienne
mum of five

Post by mum of five »

Etienne wrote:Hi, mum of five

panic has set in now cant seem to find any of my sons certificates, also just went through his year 5 report and it does not look very good on the behavior side of things .How important are these documents. Will it be okay to go without them ? as i do have the headteachers support. I am so panicky now.please help.
flossie

Post by flossie »

Sorry to hear of your disappointing news - we went through an appeal early this year (2009 11+) and were successful on 113 :shock: and 120 (January born). I received excellent advice on this website from etienne and sally-anne and also others who had been through the appeal process.

You can win your appeal. Focus on academic evidence as much as you can. We requested the paper be remarked which as expected remained 120 and received a copy of the paper which showed which questions were answered wrongly and also the raw score. From this we put together statistics which showed which 'type' of question' was incorrect. Interestingly, despite maths being dd's weakest subject she was highly successful on those types of questions which helped us as our weakest part of the appeal was that she was only 4a in maths sats predictions.

We also had had an educational pschologist visit and conduct tests which gave her a very high iq. This was well worth the money (quite expensive) as the EP made some very nice comments about her ability as well. Also letters of support from the headteacher and class teacher came in handy and taking along carefully chosen school books (which should include English, Maths and Science)

We had some weak extenuating circumstances the panel seemed most interested in academic evidence.

Send your form back with a brief outline of your reasons why your child should have passed and mention this will be followed up with a more detailed analysis (plus EP report if you go down that road). This will buy you time to prepare an extremely strong appeal.

It is quite a journey but be resilient, gather compelling academic evidence and there is an extremely strong chance you will be successful.

good luck x
flossie

Post by flossie »

Oh, i should have mentioned we didn't take school reports - they didn't ask for them either - if you've got more recent academic evidence and letters of support why would you bring them? :wink:
thecroft

Post by thecroft »

Flossie,

Really interested in your comments. My dd got 120 & 118.

Do you think in your opinion it was worth asking for a remark and was it helpful for your appeal? Do you know if the panel also gets a copy of the paper to see which questions were incorrect. Do you know of any cases where asking for a remark might have a negative effect on your appeal case with the panel?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

mum of five wrote: panic has set in now cant seem to find any of my sons certificates
What certificates are you looking for?
also just went through his year 5 report and it does not look very good on the behavior side of things .
Panels do seem to like a year 5 report, but you don't have to produce it if it doesn't help your case. Having said that, I wouldn't worry too much about behaviour - what does the report have to say about academic achievement?
How important are these documents. Will it be okay to go without them ? as i do have the headteachers support.
The more wide-ranging your evidence can be, the better:
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now