Music Textbooks?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shaftsbury1

Music Textbooks?

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello Everyone,

Ds has had a generally good progress report for the first few weeks of school........except for music!

The problem is that our family is not musical at all. No-one plays any instruments. I was forced in my secondary school to take a few piano lessons to help with my music.....which did help me a little to understand the language of music,but not enough to be able to help ds.

Ds is not interested at all in learning an instrument, and i am not going to force him, so i was hoping someone could recommend a textbook on music for novices! Something that will explain how music is written?

I have tried looking for books,but there seems mostlyto be song sheets.

Thanks in advance.
hermanmunster

Re: Music Textbooks?

Post by hermanmunster »

Not sure that I came across any textbooks for music? I am sure there are some.

I suspect the key (oops) here is the word "progress" - is he really not making progress? and I think you might only be able to tell after a term or so, if the point is just that his grade isn't great then that maybe because some kids have done LOADS out of school and hence could be teaching the teachers (partic on some instruments and composers),

I would wait and see how things work out
tottington

Post by tottington »

I bought the following book ages ago and it is really readable and explains all the basic principles of music (not sure whether it is still in print though): The basic guide to How to read music by Helen Cooper, Omnibus Press, isbn 0711900957.
Hope this helps.
Tottington
KB

Post by KB »

If your Dc isn't interested in music outside the classroom then I suspect you will have to accept that both progress and performance is likely to be relatively low.
Many of the children will not only be having private music lessons but also attending Saturday classes and/or ensembles but also singing & playing in extra-curricular activities in school.
A child studying for a couple of lessons a week cannot be expected to 'compete'.
If DC is unhappy with the situation you might well be able to get some private theory lessons for a limited period of time to give a 'boost'.
There are also some good computer programs if DC is more that way inclined.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

If you are interested in basic music theory then this site may help:

http://www.mymusictheory.com/
select grade 1 and it starts from the absolute beginning. It is geared at people preparing for exams but he need only go as far as he needs.

Hope its not censored!
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses.

Herman and Kb,you are right and i am not expecting ds to compete with children who can read music and have been playing instruments for years (particularly when he has no interest)! But i felt that he should at least have access to some sort of guide, which he has not so far been given by school. If he can get his hands on a book or good website it may help to demystify the theory and put him on more of a level footing with his peers.The progress test was all about written music and ds felt it went over his head and knew he had not done well.

Thank you minesatea,the site looks promising.

Tottington.....I will google the book. :)

Kb is it possible for you to pm me the programs you mentioned, if they cannot be mentioned here?

Thanks again.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I was good at music, but not good at PE. School reports somewhat reflected this. My parents very soon realised that most children do not excel in every subject. Most of us are human, not super-human :-)
Capers
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

My Midget is absolutely dreadful at Art, but there's not much one can do! I just hope the teacher's can atleast teach him the basic technique's, just the way he is built :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Midget Man wrote:My Midget is absolutely dreadful at Art, but there's not much one can do! I just hope the teacher's can atleast teach him the basic technique's, just the way he is built :D
well my dd1 was the same - at primary i would always quietly smile to myself when i saw any of her art work on the walls - it was just not at all good, didnt show any talent what so ever. The trend continued at secondary, her art book was full of 'C's and very weak sketches etc. Then during year 8 she had a different teacher, her enthusiasm for art increased and the teacher actually seemed to be teaching her how to draw, perspective etc. At a parent eve he said he was very pleased with her progress. By the end of the year in her key stage 3 assessment she achieved 90%! with her art teacher happily agreeing she take graphic design for GCSE - she completed this at the end of year 10 achieving an A and is now doing very well in AS art! Wha happened i dont know - maybe she just liked the techer :?
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Tiredmum, that is such a heartwarming story. It is amazing what an inspirational teacher and praise can do!

And that is what i am feeling about ds....he hasn't been taught about music theory and yet is expected to just know!

I am not bothered about music, but i just felt he should be given a fair chance, before he is tested!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now