Levels and CATS

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiredmum

Levels and CATS

Post by tiredmum »

Many of the dc's at grammar will have left priamry wilth level 5's but what sort of levels should we be expecting them to be getting now they have their first half term done and dusted?
My dd's seem to vary even within subjects. Any thoughts?
Also often along with the level there will be a mark such as A-. Do any teachers out there know if this mark relates to the level or is it somehow related to the CATS? :?: - ie. my dd got an A for maths on her assessment sheet (sent home) but i know for a fact that she wont be higher than a mid 5 and is not strong at quantative reasoning, and she got a B for English where her level in this is higher than maths and she has a good verbal reasoning score.
:)
MasterChief

Re: Levels and CATS

Post by MasterChief »

Just been pondering this question myself after DS showed me his Y7 maths assessment! A few weeks ago we were shown his targets which seemed much higher than his mates, yet they all(DS included) seem to be very similar.
All very confusing!
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

MasterChief wrote:Just been pondering this question myself after DS showed me his Y7 maths assessment! A few weeks ago we were shown his targets which seemed much higher than his mates, yet they all(DS included) seem to be very similar.
All very confusing!
so do you think perhaps his target was higher as he scored well perhaps in his CATS quantative?

I said to my dd that the A for maths was super and she said that some in her class were much better than her at maths but that she had met her target in the recent tests

To be honest i would have expected the A to be for english - but perhaps she hasnt met her target (according to her haveing a good verbal score) in english yet. :? very confusing :?
darlingmum

Post by darlingmum »

Based on our consultation last night, it seems our DC should be scoring at least a Level 6C in core subjects. Our DD's scores vary. She is ok but there were a few surprises.

Many topics within core subjects such as maths are new to her but not to her classmates. I know I can't always blame the primary school but DD is now competing with the privately educated after having spent most of Y6, in a state school, looking out the window with boredom as the teacher targeted the less abled ones.

It's a never ending job being a parent/tutor/mentor.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

darlingmum, did the teacher tell you if these were your daughters personal targets or a general target for the year?
nts

Post by nts »

Year 7 would be expected to be on level 5 to 6+ now. Just did a Maths test for my year 7, and out of 30, 4 are 6a, 6 are 6b, the rest are 5a and 6c.one is 5c. By the end of this year they should be aiming for level 6-7.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I would work on 2 sub-level progress from KS2 for the core subjects by the end of the year.
mystery

Post by mystery »

nts what sort of school is that you are quoting year 7 results from, and what would have been the NC level at KS2 of those pupils?
moved

Post by moved »

I do not teach in a grammar and I am pleased with the range of 5a-7b in a year 9 class. DD at a GS seems to expect 6/7s in year 8.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

I'm now re-examining my attitude towards DS's end of year assessments in the light of a letter from the learning manager! I'm slightly annoyed that some subjects which I believe are either inate abilities( like art, PE and music) count towards the end of year target and that others which have previously not been taught at all(like German and Italian) are included as the assessments awarded are similarly poor across the class.
Are target levels in the range 6c to 7c correct for year 7? These are at or above the levels expected of 14 year olds. Surely asking for a level of 7c in Science at age 11 is too much?
Personally, I'm quite disillusioned with the school and its attitude
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now