any movement on Tiffin waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

any movement on Tiffin waiting list

Post by Guest »

If anyone knows if there has been any movement on the Tiffin waiting list could they post here.
faye

tiffin waiting list

Post by faye »

My daughter scored 231 tiffin girls exam,we were told that she was in the first 15 on waiting list and today has only moved up two places.This is a bit worrying as we were under the impression that there would prob be 30 or so withdrawals each year. Either people are not declining the offer this year or have forgotten to respond to the place offered.The replies have to be in by tomorrow but am still very doubtful of securing a place this year.Can anyone shed any light on thiis situation?
Thea

Post by Thea »

Could be a long wait - I know of a parent who is currently agonising over whether to accept their daughter's place or take up a scholarship ( part fees) at an independent school. The ex-husband is prepared to apy the fees and thinks would be better than Tiffin for the girl. they figure they can accept the tiffin place anyway as it has no costs attached and decline at any time up till the Autumn term, they have longer to decide on the independent place. Iam not defending or promoting this action by the way, just pointing out that it might not all happen by the cut-off for acceptances. Good luck!
Best Regards,
Thea

Post by Guest »

Faye

We are also on 231 and were told we are in the top 15. Another parent has just told me that she knows 4 girls from a local private school are not taking their places at Tiffin Girls. Maybe there will be more movement from tomorrow when the deadline has passed. If I hear any more I will post information.

Post by Guest »

Thea

Independents usually give a deadline of mid-April. If they accept the independent they are liable for a full term's fees which is non-refundable. This happened to a friend last year. So unless they want to lose a term's fees I can't see people holding on to their place till Autumn.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Thea and Guest
This does give me a bit more optimism and we also have a great independent school on hold for us, should it not happen.So good luck anyone on any list hope it works out for the best. Regards Thea
jessie

Post by jessie »

Sadly it may be a long wait, though at 231 I'm sure you'll get there. There are a lot of really selfish people out there. I know of at least two families who last year accepted and paid the deposit for private school places but didn't give up their Tiffin places until late summer. Grrrrr! In my child's class at Tiffin two years ago, one child who was on the register never turned up!
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

I can also confirm that I know of several cases where children don't turn up the first day of term. Two close friends got offered selective places one after doing two days at the local comp and one after only a day.

I think some people are just lazy and others want to keep their options open in case of financial problems occuring. A lot can happen to a family in the 6 months from acceptance til starting.

Kaz
Thea

Post by Thea »

It is unbelievable that people could do that. But they do. (Bet they're the same ones that don't reveal their tutor names). At least we are all nice people on this forum. :wink:
Best Regards,
Thea

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Faye

We are also on 231 and were told we are in the top 15. Another parent has just told me that she knows 4 girls from a local private school are not taking their places at Tiffin Girls. Maybe there will be more movement from tomorrow when the deadline has passed. If I hear any more I will post information.
That has to be really frustrating as the cut off score this year was 233. If there are 15 girls within two marks it'll come down to the other admissions criteria.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now