Form groups

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
franticmum

Form groups

Post by franticmum »

Can someone tell me whether you find out the actual form group before they arrive in September and if so when, roughly, is this? I'm assuming its not immediately after the offer as there tends to be a bit of shifting of choices/appeals, etc. When I went to school, I didn't know until first day but I believe things have changed now!!

Thanks
yoyo123

Re: Form groups

Post by yoyo123 »

don;t know if it applies to all schools, but my son and daughter both found out what form they were in at the new entrants meetings in Y6.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

At DS's school form lists were given out in a welcome pack at the first induction day, which was end of June(ish).
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

induction day!

That's the name I was grasping for...
:oops:
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Thanks guys, that's helpful to know. Is that when all the kit list and everything else is chucked our way too?
moved

Post by moved »

We found out which house the children were in in the summer term before they began. In both schools house = form, but means slightly PE different uniform/embroidery.
doodles

Post by doodles »

We had a new parents evening when we got all the information about uniform etc then and also found out what house they were in. The boys then had induction day when they got to meet everybody. That we end of June/beg July.
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

Hi Franticmum

Both my DD’s are at TGS and we found out which forms they would be in (5 forms per year and the forms are also the houses) when they went for their induction day at the beginning of July. They did not find out which split groups they would be in (tutor groups – 6 of and split randomly initially) until the first day of term. The uniform lists were sent out with the letter telling us about the induction day sometime in May I think.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Dear WesterhamMum

I thought form groups and tutor groups were the same thing so as this appears not the case, I think this is what you mean (perhaps you'll tell me if I've completely misunderstood):

They find out their 'houses' early, which is like their 'team' and there are 5 of them. Their tutor groups, which are their classmates for lessons which are not split into sets, like geography, history, etc, they find out which of 6 they are in on the first day. So when Ofsted say they split students into tutor groups which are in geographical areas, they won't know this until day 1. You mentioned 'initially', regarding the latter so I'm not sure how that fits with the geographical areas.

Assumingly then, it is therefore, not possible to arrange any sort of 'social' get-together in the summer holidays before they start school which was what I was hoping to do, if my daughter gets a grammar place as she will know no-one. I thought if they knew their tutor group and these were geographically set, I could do this and they could get to know others in their approximate vicinity but this seems unlikely.
wishful

Post by wishful »

I hope that the Ofsted report meant to say 'form' groups instead of 'tutor' groups :?: Because as you say, Franticmum, it would be useful to know in the summer so that they can get to know each other.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now