Appeal at 113/114? (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slocook

Appeal at 113/114? (Bucks)

Post by slocook »

Hi this is my first time posting and I would like to say how much I have really appreciated reading of others' experiences over the appeal process, after getting DD's result last Fri.

Having met with HT she fully supports an appeal (1:1) despite the 114 score. (Her other two 1:1s, from what I can work out, reached the qualifying mark).
Academic evidence on Y5 SATS
Maths 4a,
English - Reading 5b, Writing 4b
Science - 5b

Y6 SAT predictions - "Level 5". Recent Y6 SATS papers in test conditions in Y6 for Maths was 5c.

I have no extentuating circumstances to offer (apart from usual nervousness etc, which of course is not exceptional). However, her birthday is at very end of Aug and HT has noted on the Appeal Summary Sheet "a very young Y6 child".
Is this worth mentioning as part of the appeal by us? I am torn as I don't want to jeopardise any chance she might have by a potential claim that she might not be mature enough for GS. Also - she was born at 36 weeks. Is it worth me digging out the hospital paperwork on this as evidence and mentioning it in a one-liner in the appeal application? (I don't want to sound desperate - but if this is something that has been shown to be effective evidence, then I will consider it).

I'm trying to get the balance between making a sensible appeal application and making it sound desperate!! I know the chances of success are slim (11%) and I waiver every day between should we/shouldn't we appeal. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks so much

slocook
hermanmunster

Re: Appeal at 113/114?

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Slocook and welcome to the forum,

I am sorry to hear that you are having to go through this at the moment but delighted to hear that she has her headteacher's full support.

re the 36 week appearance in the world! on the whole 36 weeks is not going to make a huge difference for a child - they catch up well before the first year is over - and it is usually long forgotten by the time they get to infant school.

HOWEVER your DD, if born at the "proper" time would have been in the academic year below and would have taken the test a year later.... so in this case I do think it is worth a mention, just a mention that is! - most of the evidence will have to be academic
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree with Herman.

I don't believe panels consider whether a child is 'mature enough' for grammar school. The issue is whether, with an August birthday, your daughter was mature enough for the 11+ (despite standardisation). It is well known that some pupils do make rapid progress during year 6, and it would help if the headteacher could confirm that she is one of them! :)

If the 1:1 looks realistic in the context of all the head's recommendations, it's worth seeing what the panel think of your case. You understand that the odds are against you, which is realistic, but if you don't try, you'll never know ......
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You may actually find that the hospital paperwork doesn't show anything about the prematurity - someone last year hunted high and low, and there was nothing, even in the Red Book.

I certainly wouldn't worry about including evidence of prematurity in your submission and a doctor's letter would be OTT. If the growth centiles in the Red Book indicate prematurity you could take it along with you, but I would like to bet that the offer to look at it would be politely turned down!

S-A
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There is only likely to be a info on the discharge letter - in terms of EDD and gestation and date of delivery. Also a mention on first check at home by midwife but nowt else.
slocook

Post by slocook »

Thanks so much to all of you. I appreciate your responses.

Will focus on the academic evidence and maybe a one-liner about her late Aug birthday.

This forum is so valuable - without it, I wouldn't have a clue how to approach the appeals process.

Thanks for your tireless work, mods and to all regular contributors.

slocook
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now