Vocabulary words etc before the Tiffin test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Doblinski

Vocabulary words etc before the Tiffin test

Post by Doblinski »

Is there a good place to look for a list of vocab words before the test in January?

And are there any other last minute general non vocab stuff DD could be looking at now too? Suggestions welcome :D

Thanks very much
Shaftsbury1

Re: Vocabulary words etc before the Tiffin test

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello Doblinski,

I would say regarding the vocab list.......it is a good idea to create lists with words,their meanings and similar words and then opposite words. I found this to be a useful technique and helpful for vr.

In the last few days before the test, exam technique is key!

Timing is a big issue because dc can know their types backwards but if they dont have time to complete, then it is pointless! So practise tests in time are key.

Also it is good to discuss contingencies, for example .....getting stuck, filling the answersheet,what to do when and if you have little time and questions still left to answer.

Every dc is different and the plan you come up with will be individual, but it is essentual for them to have one!!

Lastly relax and stay calm, if you get stressed so will your dc!

Good luck!!!!!

Sh1
moved

Post by moved »

Lots of Scrabble and Boggle around the family table over the Christmas holidays.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

And when they get in to Tiffin or other GS, these children who have conned all these word lists by rote, will find that they can't keep up in English, and parents will be desperately seeking tutors. Plus ca change.
Josa

Post by Josa »

huntlie wrote:And when they get in to Tiffin or other GS, these children who have conned all these word lists by rote, will find that they can't keep up in English, and parents will be desperately seeking tutors. Plus ca change.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

Josa wrote:
huntlie wrote:And when they get in to Tiffin or other GS, these children who have conned all these word lists by rote, will find that they can't keep up in English, and parents will be desperately seeking tutors. Plus ca change.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Why so shocked? :lol:
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Well hello huntlie and your new comrade keepcool.........I have held back long ,but your latest comment is too personal for me to let it go.

You appear every so often and write you bitter posts and when people respond to you with valid arguments,you hide away.

You know i just wrote my longest post yet and have just deleted it because i have decided that your bitter,vile comments do not deserve a response. And you are going to disappear again anyway.

I found this site to be so helpful and 99 % of the people to be wonderful.

So shoot us if we want to help and support each other, for the good of our children.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my personal opinion is that very few children would learn all the words on a vocabulary list by rote.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi doblinski

If vocabulary lists are taught properly they will benefit any child in English, regardless of their age and the outcome of school entrance tests.

Some sample advice from tutors is to pick 3 - 5 words a day. They can be stuck on the fridge, a kitchen cupboard - anywhere. The child should then put each word into a meaningful sentence at least 3 times and if possible use the word as many times as they can that day.

Decline: "Thanks Mum, but I'm full now, so I will decline the offer of any more food."

Consent: "I will consent to tidy my room once I have finished watching this programme."

Etc, etc.

It may sound very formal in terms of today's language and "txt spk", but this very useful post from Patricia highlights why that may be: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 0&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The vocabulary in 11+ tests tends to be rather "old fashioned" and that can be challenging for children who have not read books from different eras.

Hope that helps.

S-A
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now