Does anyone know.....?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shaann

Does anyone know.....?

Post by shaann »

Hi,
If you were in the unfortunate circumstance of having got none of your 4 choices on allocation day and were therefore allocated your nearest school with a space ( I think thats what they do??) and then that school was not acceptable/suitable for your child so you turn it down.....what happens next?

Just like to know,just in case :?
mitasol

Re: Does anyone know.....?

Post by mitasol »

You could apply to go on the waiting list for other schools. In all honesty I wouldn't turn down the allocated school until you have an acceptable offer from a suitable school. Otherwise you might find yourself home educating.

Ring Admissions and ask them to clarify the procedure.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agree with Mitasol - the LEA will say it is a suitable school and won't be running around to find you another one.
Best to make sure that your 4th choice is a better deal than that ie a school you are likely to get a place at that may be more acceptable to you. Problem is often worse if people put 4 (or whatever number is the local score) selectives and are not able to get into any.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

hermanmunster wrote:Problem is often worse if people put 4 (or whatever number is the local score) selectives and are not able to get into any.
It now helps that we are given the indicative results in November (or was it October - feels like ages ago). At least that way you would be pretty sure about the results for Pates, and if your child is in the top 160 there, they'd be more or less assured to get a place in any of the other grammars (should they be - say - 159 at Pates). If you get 'not in top 120' for the other grammars, or even 'not of selective standard', but still put 4 grammars with a chance of getting none of them, then you might have a problem.

Likewise, if you put 3 grammars then a good comp school you're out out of catchment for and it's also oversubscribed, then you might have a problem.

Like Hermanmunster, I would always recommend (or even insist!) on putting as 4th option a school which you're pretty much guaranteed to get, even if it's not one you particularly want. This may be an undersubscribed comp which isn't your closest, but would suit your child better than the local (NB, you could have to pay for transport!), or your catchment comp. At least then you will have A school come September. You can then ask for reconsideration, or start appealing safe in the knowledge that if all else fails, you've got a place somewhere.

Unless you're prepared to home tutor, go private, or know of an out-of-county school that happens to have a place, don't turn down what the county offers.
Capers
shaann

Post by shaann »

Thanks for your help.

In my 4 I have included the GS that I intend appealing for,a local comp,a feeder comp and a good comp out of the area but where a relative lives so should I end up with that dc would have someone around for emergency pick ups or clubs if I was not there.I would hope that I get one of the 3 comps to hold incase the appeal outcome was not favourable but who knows.Thats why I wondered what happens.

I also have a very difficult choice regarding these comps,they are in demand and I would be most fortunate to get a place.My next child is not gs suitable and so would be looking for one of these . A sibling in any one of the 3 would push us right up the priority list next time as all three favour siblings. :? But I guess what ever will be will be and I would also be most fortunate to win an appeal at our chosen gs which dc would be much more suited to.Its so tough being a parent. :lol:

Well its nearly 2011, just over 2 months til allocation and just over 2 months since the test!!!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

shaann wrote:a local comp,a feeder comp and a good comp out of the area but where a relative lives .... Thats why I wondered what happens.
Righty-ho. You won't get the grammar on 1st March, as you realise. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get the local comp or the feeder comp, though.

If you are very unfortunate and don't get any, appeal for the comps as well as for the grammar. You'll need a different case for each, but the panels won't (or shouldn't) know that you're appealing for the other ones; unless, that is, a panel member happens to be on both panels - unlikely but possible - but even then they would ignore what they'd heard from you at the other appeals.
Well its nearly 2011, just over 2 months til allocation and just over 2 months since the test!!!
Thanks for reminding me :evil: I was trying to forget that over Christmas / Yuletide / New Year / Valentines Day / Pancake Day (though that's getting a bit close to the day, given a late Easter).

Mind you, plenty to distract me. Currently drawing up Meal Plans for late December & a spreadsheet of shopping needed to fulfil the plans, factor in predicted bad weather, relatives staying longer, etc.

Already bought 30 bake off Croissants & 7.5Kg of chocolate at Makro today. If you're wondering, that's 2.5Kg each of Dark, Milk & White. All suitable for making pralines & other confections (comes in pellets, needs tempering still). Problem is, if you mix the dark & the milk, the crystallisation point changes from the charts shewn on the packets.
Capers
shaann

Post by shaann »

Ah competition.....I too make menu plans and associated shopping lists ( all written by hand though.... as anyone could guess from my IT skills :oops: no computers in my day and been on a very long maternity!!) and we make our own chocs and sweets.Infact not alot we don`t make and can`t be a utensil/gaget that I don`t have.Home cooked,home grown and home born.....I am often asked if I am from Stroud!! :wink:
Milla

Post by Milla »

sorr to continue OT, but since shaan has started, can join in!
where's Makro - am sure has come up before, but if you don't have a C&C card, where's the best place to get chocolate buttons for choc recipes??
thanks!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Forget makro as am seriously ill here and needed to be doing all this sort of stuff myself but it just ain't happening. So if you are looking for distraction could you make a load extra and send it over in a boat for by Saturday :wink:
shaann

Post by shaann »

Chocolate aside(I find supermarket economy brand really good for cooking with :shock: )and illness..hope you feel better soon Tolstoy....I was speaking to someone who was in the circumstance of being allocated a school not chosen on their preference list.They turned down what they were offered,turned down again,I think 3 or 4, then were given something that they found acceptable.It wasn`t a gs obviously but I was quite interested to hear this.

Most of you thought best to accept what you were allocated,now I am confused again.I did incidently stand my ground with primary allocation and after about 5 offers that I didn`t want I did get what I wanted in the end.My criteria then was not to accept any school which had less than national average results for ks2.It worked but this was for primary,secondary may well be different????