Student Protest Marches - a couple of points!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

Student Protest Marches - a couple of points!

Post by Snowdrops »

So, the student protest marches have been ongoing for the past few weeks, with marches ending in violence and sit-ins, with anohter big march today.

Do we think it's right they should be marching? Will it have any effect on the Government?

Do we even think the majority of students properly understand the Government's proposals?

Would you let your son/daughter (aged between, say, 13 -16) go on one of these marches?
drummer

Re: Student Protest Marches - a couple of points!

Post by drummer »

What is it that you think they don't understand?

I possibly wouldn't have my 13 year old marching in London (if he was 16 then fine), but am astonished that students in his school are nor doing anything and would certainly support a walk-out and a local march or picketing of the MP's offices or something along those lines.

It has certainly changed our thoughts about going to University and although my son is near top of his class at a GS we are now anticipating that neither he or his siblings will go.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I haven't said they don't understand anything, I'm asking the readers' opinions. :D
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Oooh this is a good one! If I knew how to find out where they were in advance (and wasn't working!!!) I would go on one of these marches!

Do I think it will make a difference? Not in the least.

Do I feel strongly enough to protest? Yes I do :!:

Had the proposals not been a double whammy, higher fees and higher interest on the loans, then it would have been an easier pill to swallow. What I don't agree with is that some uni's will be able to charge up to £9k if they offer free 1st, and possilby 2nd year fees to a young person who currently qualifies for free meals. I have never been to uni myself and am not in the least bit intelligent but even I can see this amounts to forcing those from families with 'average' and above incomes to pay for it :twisted:

My opinion is that the fees should perhaps be set at about £5k if the government insist on charging more in interest payments. Like many others by DS's are now questioning if they will be able to afford further education, which is a shame because they were so close. I don't earn enough to be able to help them out very much and yet too much for them to get grants etc.

And EMA????? Don't get me started on that. Biggest waste of public funds ever!!!!!!! (and you may guess DS's don't qualify for that either.....)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Plum

Post by Plum »

T12ACY wrote:Oooh this is a good one! If I knew how to find out where they were in advance (and wasn't working!!!) I would go on one of these marches!

Do I think it will make a difference? Not in the least.

Do I feel strongly enough to protest? Yes I do :!:

I'm with T12ACY!!! It's what students should be doing! However, I am against any violence. There was a young woman on C4 news the other week (can't remember who she represented) saying that she did not see any violence at a march although she did see some vandalism (like it didn't matter) - to me, vandalism is a form of voilence and IMO I thought she was quite ignorant on that issue!

I agree that it is the people on middle incomes that will bare the brunt of the increases, once again. However, I take the view that whilst my children will need to think about whether they can afford to go to university (assuming they show the aptitude), they will also need to think about whether they can afford NOT to go!

Hopefully, graduate salaries will rise to reflect the cost of going to university, as far too many employers expect their staff to have degrees now adays.

Plum
drummer

Post by drummer »

Snowdrops wrote:I haven't said they don't understand anything, I'm asking the readers' opinions. :D
But why ask the question then?? Something must have caused you to think that their understanding was in doubt? It doesn't make sense otherwise?

I'm with you T12ACY and would like to protest somewhere with my family.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Listened to a politician today who said EMA was wasted money (I agree) because the money should better be spent on 2,3,4 and 5 year olds as that is where the disadvantages of poverty start and are never redressed. In the same statement he says the current Uni plans are ok because poor students (or should that be students with low income families) will get support. Why isn't that considered a waste of money then, I mean supporting someone who has already made it through despite their background? And if their system is so fair then why the need to support anybody?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

drummer wrote:
Snowdrops wrote:I haven't said they don't understand anything, I'm asking the readers' opinions. :D
But why ask the question then?? Something must have caused you to think that their understanding was in doubt? It doesn't make sense otherwise?

I'm with you T12ACY and would like to protest somewhere with my family.

I'm asking the question because I've heard it posed on the radio, I haven't necessarily said it's something I believe, not believe, or know very much about actually.

What I'm trying to do is get a conversation going, and I would like very much for people to put their thoughts across without being unduly influenced/swayed by a statement from me beforehand.
mother night

Post by mother night »

It's certainly turned around political apathy in the young and galvanised them into action- good thing too!

The demonstrations won't change anything but come the next election they may now realise that voting may not be such a wasted pursuit after all as decisions in Westminster do affect us- even if the outcome is not always what you voted for...

I'd be happy to allow my DD to demonstrate- peacefully, she's too young now but I think it's important for them to care about such issues.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

mother night wrote:It's certainly turned around political apathy in the young and galvanised them into action- good thing too!

The demonstrations won't change anything but come the next election they may now realise that voting may not be such a wasted pursuit after all as decisions in Westminster do affect us- even if the outcome is not always what you voted for...

I'd be happy to allow my DD to demonstrate- peacefully, she's too young now but I think it's important for them to care about such issues.
2 things. I agree there is never an excuse to turn a protest in to a violent rampage, and secondly voting.

Don't you think some may wonder what is the point of voting if the MP you voted for makes a rapid u turn on their key election promises? I think this might just have the effect of fewer voters in the future, and had I voted for Lib Dems (which I didn't) I would have been enraged if the reason I chose them was because of the Uni fees 'promise' and how they would not raise them?!?!?! They have totally shot themselves in the foot IMO......

I never said, but I would support my DC if they wanted to protest. If they opted to use violence or vandalism as their voice I would ground them until they were 30 :lol: (or kick their @rse, and probably settle on the latter)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now