Appeal questions (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Annan

Appeal questions (Bucks)

Post by Annan »

Hi, new to this site and looking for some advice please. My DS got 118,117 on 11+. We are in the process of appealing. The head has given him a 1:1. She has put on the form previous NFER standardised test scores in Jan when he was 9years non verbal 125 and verbal 116, are these good? Should we mention them in our cover letter? We have no extenuating circumstances. Many thanks Anna
Etienne

Re: Appeal questions

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, Annan.
She has put on the form previous NFER standardised test scores in Jan when he was 9years non verbal 125 and verbal 116, are these good?
The 125 is acceptable. 116 is lower than one would hope to see.
Should we mention them in our cover letter?
You could draw the panel's attention to the fact that your son appears stronger at NVR, judging by his NFER tests at school.

Is this reflected in his school work, by the way? (Is he stronger at maths than at English?)
We have no extenuating circumstances.
Then that is what you should tell the panel. They will appreciate your honesty. If you're lucky, with scores as respectable as 118 and 117, they may not be too concerned about extenuating circumstances.
Etienne
Annan

Re: Appeal questions (Bucks)

Post by Annan »

Yes, his Maths and science is very strong, reading is good, his writing is good when he wants to put the effort in. Year 5 SATS 5C Maths 5C reading, 4B Writing. The head teacher has only put level 5 as predicted for Key stage 2, do you know if she is allowed to put sub levels on her form? I would have thought he would be 5A for maths and may be 5B for english by then. I am seeing her tomorrow and would be good to know in advance if she is allowed to.

Many thanks for your promt and helpful reply. Anna
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good! Not only do you have evidence of his NVR ability, but it correlates well with his maths/science ability. Respectfully ask the panel to consider whether, because the format of the 11+ includes only VR, it may not have given a rounded picture of your son's abilities.

Depending on how your particular panel view the argument, this could be your 'extenuating circumstance'.
The head teacher has only put level 5 as predicted for Key stage 2, do you know if she is allowed to put sub levels on her form?
Indeed she is, and there will be some heads who do. Those who don't could justify their position by pointing out that the official results just state the level. However, it is helpful for a panel to have predictions that include sub-levels because level 5 covers quite a wide range of ability.
Etienne
Annan

Post by Annan »

Thank you for your advice. I have seen the head and she has explained that they only need to know hes working at a level 5. I would have prefered her to put sub levels but I can't force the issue. I called the admission advice line and they confirmed that all they want to see is level 5. Still concered that some panel members may have doubts when they see this.

I have sent my application in today. Would you advise getting letters of recommendation? A friend at the same school won an appeal last year for her DS on 114 with no extenuating circumstances, she said she had lots of letters from clubs etc that he attended.

What about certificates? He has won awards at school etc.

Many thanks again
Anna
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would have prefered her to put sub levels but I can't force the issue.
I agree.
I called the admission advice line and they confirmed that all they want to see is level 5.
I'm speechless! Utter nonsense - they obviously haven't spoken to any panel members about it! :roll:
Still concered that some panel members may have doubts when they see this.
Don't worry. I think it's probable that, in your case, they will see the optional SATs and conclude that your son is on target for sound level 5s. This is a point you could put to the panel: "Unfortunately our headteacher said you wouldn't want sub-levels for the KS2 predictions, but if you look at my son's year 5 optional SATs, I hope you will agree that he is on target for 5a in maths and somewhere in the range 5b to 5c in English" - assuming, of course, this matches any comments in the evidence.

It's more of a problem where there's not much supporting evidence. In that situation it's helpful for a panel to know what sort of level 5 is expected - a borderline L5 or a sound level L5? - Don't think I ever met a panel member who wouldn't have wanted to know!
Would you advise getting letters of recommendation? A friend at the same school won an appeal last year for her DS on 114 with no extenuating circumstances, she said she had lots of letters from clubs etc that he attended.
She certainly didn't win her appeal because of letters from clubs! They serve no useful purpose.
What about certificates? He has won awards at school etc.
Only if they are about academic achievement.
Etienne
Annan

Post by Annan »

I didn't think recommendations would be much use. I now have the job of going through his school work with his teacher, do you advise providing lots or just samples? I don't want them to think we have cherry picked the good bits but I also don't want to swamp them.
Can we just bring this with us on the day or do they prefer to see it in advance?

Would school Gold awards for writing/ maths be worth bringing?

Thanks again
Anna
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I now have the job of going through his school work with his teacher, do you advise providing lots or just samples? I don't want them to think we have cherry picked the good bits but I also don't want to swamp them.
Can we just bring this with us on the day or do they prefer to see it in advance?
Most of these points are dealt with in the Q&As. Essential reading! :) - available entirely free of charge here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would school Gold awards for writing/ maths be worth bringing?
Assuming they're related to academic achievement rather than effort, I don't see why not. It may be difficult for the panel to give much weight to them (not knowing the standard required to get such an award).
Etienne
Annan

Post by Annan »

Hi, back on after a break as I was going completely crazy with appeals info. I have just had my sons raw scores through, Test One 65- 117. test two 69- 118. Is it worth bringing the raw scores info up at the appeals hearing? From what I have read 69 last year for a March born would have been a pass- 121, do you think its worth mentioning this, if so do I need to bring evidence?

Many thanks Anna
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

To be honest, an appeal panel is not going to be interested, because they can't get involved in how this year's standardisation compares with last year's.

If you requested the raw scores, then that information may well be included in the appeal papers. If asked why, my advice would be to say that you enquired "out of interest".

Discussing 'the system' tends to be a distraction - keep the focus on the things that matter! :)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now