Rugby High School - Draft of new arrangements for 2012 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Charlotte67

Rugby High School - Draft of new arrangements for 2012 entry

Post by Charlotte67 »

I haven't had time to read these yet, but apparently they are proposing some changes.

See website for details: http://www.rhswebsite.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mike1880

Re: Rugby High School - Draft of new arrangements for 2012 e

Post by mike1880 »

It looks as though the fundamental change is to reverse the order of selection of the two Areas: i.e., instead of taking the top 47 overall, then the next 47 from East Warks, they intend to take the top 47 from East Warks and then the remaining top 47 overall.

That's a rather subtle change. In the old world it would surely not make it past the consultation/objection stage because it will increase the numbers from the Circle again (extent depends on the proportion of candidates from each area), but now they're an academy it's a whole new ball game - if I've understood the process correctly?

Mike
WP

Re: Rugby High School - Draft of new arrangements for 2012 e

Post by WP »

Subtle indeed, but I believe it amounts to a return to the old system. It guarantees at least 50% of the places for E Warks, but if more than half the top 94 girls come from there it will just select the top 94. According the the figures given by Warks when the current system was introduced, in 2008 and 2009 about two thirds of the top 94 came from E Warks, so that appears a safe assumption.

They mention Equal Opportunities regulations, which would seem to require that Lawrence Sheriff would have to make the same change. (But LSS were always slower updating their website than RHS.)

After they become an academy, any objections to their arrangements must be made to the Secretary of State, though he has the option of taking advice from the Schools Adjudicator.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now