Classical civilisation

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiredmum

Classical civilisation

Post by tiredmum »

My dd has recently started this GCSE, seems to be enjoying it.

She chose it through lack of choice really, needed to pick a subject from block A and it kind of came down to that or sociology. I am hoping it is better thought of than sociology ?

Does any one know much about this GCSE? :)
sherry_d

Re: Classical civilisation

Post by sherry_d »

This http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Its for A levels but its suggest its a respected subjected compared to sociology.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Thank sherry, took a look.
it seems a really interesting subject :)
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS has just taken this up as a GCSE option in Y8 instead of a second foreign language. His description is "it's just like Latin, without the Latin" :roll: He seems to be enjoying it so far - maybe because he's obsessed with the Percy Jackson books at the moment.
zorro

Post by zorro »

In my DS's school, those that did not do so well in the first 2 years of compulsory Latin take this. It's apparently 'more fun than Latin' according to DS !
KB

Post by KB »

I think it is fair to say that CS is viewed as a less academic option than Latin, but as one of a clutch of GCSE options that include other academic subjects that shouldn't be an issue.
Depending on future plans it might not be a wise option at A level - but thats a different issue.
I would just be grateful that your DC is enjoying the subject & hopefully it wont prove too taxing or time consuming!
KB

Post by KB »

oops - sorry, got my CC & GS in a twist! should read CC of course :)
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

It's basically like Ancient History. I took both Classical Studies and Latin and loved both of them, although this was far easier. If I remember correctly there was quite a lot of coursework in my day, but my day was many years ago! :oops:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Well I did Classical Studies for both ‘A’ level and for the first year of my degree course. Spent a term teaching it at a well known boys’ public school and when I applied for my PGCE a large portion of my interview was devoted to discussing it. Don’t recall anyone suggesting that it was anything other than an academically rigorous subject.

That said, like ourmaminhavan my day was an awful lot of days ago. :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

I would say it is a great subject - and that's coming from somebody who did 'A' levels in Latin and Sociology :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now