Herts admissions consultation

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WP

Herts admissions consultation

Post by WP »

In this round, the county proposes no changes to their arrangements (panel meeting). They say they're still unable to model the effect of adding extra preferences. One suggestion (para 4.5 of the Minutes):
It was noted that a dialogue should be continued with partially selective schools regarding the possibility of entrance tests being carried out before the preferences are chosen. This was seen as a possible alternative to increasing the amount of preferences allowed.
I don't see how this would help.
nat

Re: Herts admissions consultation

Post by nat »

It could work in some cases if all selective schools had two rounds.

If you don't get through to the second round, you don't put this school as one of your choices and consequently save one choice.

However if your child gets through to the second round in all the schools you consider, you will be in the same situation as now.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think it would really help to know if you had a high enough mark to be in the ball park before you blew one of your precious three preferences on a selective school. We used all three of our preferences on selective schools so we played a very dangerous game and were well aware that if dd did not score highly enoughly on any of the three exams we would not even get any of our local comps as they are all very oversubscribed, we would have got the 28% school in the next town which was in special measures just two years ago. Had we known our results BEFORE applying then we could have dropped any school she had a low mark for and given ourselves a safety net. DG
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

The only way I can see it being helpful to children is if the results of the tests are known before the end of October (decision day). That way you can possibly make a more informed decision about your 3 choices but it would depend on the score achieved.

However, I can't see the schools being willing to set the tests and then get marks back to children before the end of October. At present the schools know who to send test invites out to but if the test date is changed then people would have to apply to the schools probably before the end of year 5!

Alison
WP

Post by WP »

AlisonR wrote:The only way I can see it being helpful to children is if the results of the tests are known before the end of October (decision day). That way you can possibly make a more informed decision about your 3 choices but it would depend on the score achieved.
That is presumably the suggestion, but knowing your score wouldn't give you a clear answer (except for the first round music test), even if the schools provided detailed historical information. It could make the decision even more agonizing.
AlisonR wrote:However, I can't see the schools being willing to set the tests and then get marks back to children before the end of October. At present the schools know who to send test invites out to but if the test date is changed then people would have to apply to the schools probably before the end of year 5!
Yes, the tests would have to be near the start of the school year. Since it wouldn't be tied to an application, they'd have to accept entries from all over. And if you didn't do the test in September you'd presumably lose your chance at applying for selective places.

It also does nothing to address the other problem with 3 preferences in SW Herts, namely that people applying to the same schools from neighbouring London boroughs and Bucks get 6 preferences.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now