Eltham College

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lefol

Eltham College

Post by lefol »

Hi Everyone,

I am considering Eltham College for my ds. I rang the school on tuesday to request a prospectus and spoke to a rather frosty receptionist!

I have heard some positive things about this school...

Is it one of the super selective schools ? I must say the pictures on the website do not promote the school as an all inclusive school...

would like to hear your thoughts...
blessedmum

Re: Eltham College

Post by blessedmum »

Everything I have heard about Eltham college has been positive. I know that the sixth formers went to Tanzania this summer to help a charity built school with sustainable food growth and also with cleaning and helping with minor repairs on the school's premises. The boys seem to live in the real world.
It is selective but i think boys are given a chance if they are ok but very sporty. they get very good academic results at GCSE and A levels so they must be doing something right.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Thanks Blessed Mum. Can't wait till this is all over. The rest of the exams are set for January. My ds likes all the schools he has visited so far.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

We're preparing for the Bromley high test too and its exhausting. Can't wait for it to be all over too. Goodluck to your ds
lefol

Post by lefol »

Blessedmum,

Thanks and very best wishes to your dd for the Bromley High test. Hope your dd has also applied to Farringtons and Blackheath High, both very good schools.

Have promised my ds a special present when this is all over. He sure is working very hard.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Just read this. Ignore the receptionists. I have had experience haughty receptionists who don't come from private school backgrounds so seem to think that is the way "one" must act when working in a private school! The schools were great, and the teachers were down to earth, even if the receptionists were a nightmare! :lol:
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Hi Lefol,

thanks. good luck to your ds too. We did not apply to Farringtons. we love everything about the school but am not sure if it will stretch my dd which is what she needs. she will happily do nothing if she does not have too.
I dont know if I have left it too late but I have not even visited Blackheath high. I will look at their site and get as much information as possible and visit when the weather gets better. She passed both Kent and Bexley 11+ too so we are looking at those options too.
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

Blackheath High exam is on Sat 15th Jan and I am not sure what the cut off date is to register. I am led to believe that although Farringtons have had their exam they do another round after the March state school allocation which people are often keen to apply for if they didn't get their preferred state school. I know there is a perception that they do not "stretch" bright pupils but I personally believe this to be a false impression. I think all the children do as well there as they can. One of the benefits of the school in my mind is that they can go the 3 sciences route if they are able but there are other options open to them if they find a particular area challenging. Due to the boarding there are lots of extra curricula activities on offer which gives a really good all round education.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Me2010 thanks a lot for that. To be fair it was by far the best school we visited in terms of facilities and the way the school is organised. I really felt my daughter will be happy there and settled but I know she can be lazy and I will like an environment where she will be challenged rather than left alone, Bromley high seem to be a place where she will be stretched.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Blessedmum, I agree, the good thing is we have so many good options this side of the South East. Did you consider Bishop Challoner in Bromley? It has such a good atmosphere,lovely staff and very good results. One of my favourites as well and my ds likes it too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now