Message for Patience

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
patricia

Message for Patience

Post by patricia »

Dear Pateince

I have started a new topic as your request was posted on an old thread.

Follows a copy and paste.

The 11 plus exam in Bucks consists of 2 Verbal Reasoning, Multiple choice tests. Each paper has 80 questions to complete in 50 minutes. Your child only needs to pass one of the tests, the average score is no longer used. The school will provide 5 familiarisation sessions [covering the 21 types of questions] followed by 3 practice tests.

The tests are published by NFER.

Publishers which currently cover the 21 types required for Bucks include:
AFN, IPS, SUSAN DAUGHTREY [Bright Sparks only, NOT her books 1-7]

NFER, who publish the Bucks tests only contain 15 types of questions…..it is therefore necessary to practice HIKNOS while completing these tests. [HIKNOS are 6 types as identified by IPS]

I would recommend that you start by buying a method and technique book in order to teach yourself how approach each of the questions [IPS]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IPS also publishes a book containing a selection of each type. Before you administer your first test, teach your child the types contained in that test using the IPS additional questions book, continue this method for the first few tests.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use tests in the following order…..

1] IPS, 10 tests 50 questions, 30 minutes [shorter tests good to begin with]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2] SUSAN DAUGHTREY [Bright Sparks only], 4 tests 80 questions 50 minutes [soon to be 8 tests]
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3] NFER, 4 tests, 85 questions 50 minutes [remember to practice HIKNOS from IPS when completing these tests, also need to cross off the last 5 questions, as the real test only has 80 not 85]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do not start until the New Year, between now and then [and for the rest of year 5] ensure your child reads out loud to you at least 3 times a week, making note of all unknown vocabulary. If you look at some of the posts concerning the 2006 11 plus, the majority of posters, mention vocabulary as being the biggest problem [and I whole heartedly agree]
See the following link, bottom of the page, for my list of words with an explanation of how to use flash cards as an aid

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... wnload.php

In addition, there are 4 types of maths questions, they are not rocket science, BUT require an ability to quickly recall the 4 maths operations i.e. adding, subtraction, multiplying and dividing. The quicker the child can recall, the more time can be spent on codes [easy marks, but time consuming] Basically if you ask for 8 x 7 you want the answer 56, now not in 10 seconds time, once they know their times tables inside out and back to front [ up to 12 x] then division becomes easy. Adding and subtraction should be practiced using numbers under 150….try making up games, giving quick fire questions in the car, out for walks etc.

This forum is a wealth of information, look around, take note and get teaching! Any problems just ask, there is always someone willing to help.

Patricia
patience

Post by patience »

Dear Patricia,

I have long heared my friends talking about an very experienced tutor on this website who gave valuable advice on everything related to 11+. Thank you. I have ordered all the exams you recommended and going to start now. Is it a bit late now? My daughter has done one or two of the IPS test and scored only 40/50 normally. Any hope for her?

You and all the other parents are right - the most difficult part of the test is vocabulary. I have downloaded your word lists already. Do you think my daughter can improve till October to the required score? - Just generally speaking for an average pupil. Thanks!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

40/50 sounds a good start - you need to aim for about 85 - 90% depending on how old your child is.

With practice the speed will improve - and the 'technique' i.e. leaving Z type to last.

There is lots of support on this website -
patience

Post by patience »

Thanks guest 55. How will this depend on age? Her birthday around Feb 1997 - will this increase her score or decrease?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They 'standardise' the marks - this means older children have to get more questions right than August born [as older children tend to score higher - the average for each month of birth is used as a comparison - don't want to get too technical here!]

Your child is in the middle so will probably have to get one or two fewer correct than a September born child -
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Patience

There is plenty of time.

40/50 is not bad at all, eventually aim for 86% plus [ I like to see 90% plus]

I 'insist' my children at ALL times leave out the Z questions. All papers contain 2 Zs, they can take a while to work out,as all questions attract 1 mark each, regardless of difficulty, its worth losing out on 2 marks, just to ensure all other questions are completed.

If you look in the tips section there are various posts on a number of techniques.

Good Luck and keep posting for advice.

Patricia
patience

Post by patience »

Thanks Patricia and Guest 55

That gives me some confidence - the other should come from my daughter herself!

Some more practical questions

1) Will there be any change on the type of questions, type of test (multiple choice or standard), number of questions etc for year 2007?
2) Is the pupil allowed to mark on the test paper and the answer sheet during the real exam?
3) got one question from IPS book and I think the answer is wrong. Can somebody check if my answer to the following is right (I wont give it now so not misleading you):

Type C: In each question below, some of the words are in code. the first code word in each question has beenworked out for you. now work out the second word in the question using the same code.
If the code for REPLAY is TDRKCX, what does QQCMEF mean?
patience

violin teacher

Post by patience »

Oh by the way I know this is not relevant to 11+ but do not want my daughter to plunge solely deep into the exam: Does anybody know any violin teacher around Whitchurch area? or point me to the right place to look for one?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Patience.

answers
1) No Bucks is VR only two papers 80 questions in 50 mins - multiple choice format

2) Can mark question paper not answer paper [apart from the answers!] as they are 'marked' by a machine

3) What are the choices?

For a violin teacher you could contact Aylesbury Music Centre - 01296 383243 if your child wants to join an ensemble there are activities both at Winslow Centre and AMC -
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Patience

Yes, the code question is incorrect, makes ORANCG as an answer, I suspect they were trying to make ORANGE

Which paper is it on, is Orange on the answer sheet.

I tell all my students to check after they have found the first three letters. In this case they would have found ORA....if Orange was on the answer sheet, they would have got it right and would not have had a panic of finding an incorrect word.

Patricia