Southend schools preferred places. What would you do?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SPEEDYMUMMY

Southend schools preferred places. What would you do?

Post by SPEEDYMUMMY »

Hello all,
Firstly may I say what a great forum - so much helpful information!
I am looking for some advice really. We live in the borough of Southend but my child goes to the catchment denominational school which lies in the Essex borough. Because of the admission arrangements for the southend grammars that means applying for one of approx 25 out of borough places instead of an in borough child at a non denominational school who is going for one of 125 places. I am very happy with the current primary school, but my child is very bright and I know would do very well at a grammar. Do I leave my child where they are and give extra coaching and hope they do well enough to get one of the 25 places? Do I move my child to a non denominational school in borough therefore standing a better chance of getting in? Do I go down the legal route and say that the southend grammar schools are being discriminatory as my child goes to the catchment denominational school in essex instead of the non denominational catchment school inside the borough?
Any advice much appreciated.
moved

Re: Southend schools preferred places. What would you do?

Post by moved »

I think living in the Borough could count, but you should phone the council to check. I know that it says educated within a borough school on the forms, but home educated children have the same access as they live in Southend.

There is a maximum of 115 places for local girls at SHSG and WHSG leaving 35 and 39 at each school for outside and often more.

If you look at the scores threads you will see the difference in scores required. About 10% more for out of catchment girls.

304 girls places of which a maximum of 130 can be from within the borough before address is irrelevant. Both schools offer places to girls at the minimum pass mark, which implies that more than 74 are taken from outside. WHSG often take nearly half of their girls from outside the borough.

From SHSG admissions page.

• The Standard Number for admission at age 11 for the year commencing 1st September 2010 is 150. Normally some 700 pupils apply for a place at SHSG.

• Under local requirements placed upon us by the Secretary of State, priority is given to Year 6 pupils attending schools within a defined local geographical area of the Southend conurbation (copy of map available from school). A score (‘pass mark’) will be determined annually after the testing date below which pupils will not be admitted. This pass mark is standardised against benchmarked figures for results in the period 1990-94.

• Up to an agreed maximum 115 places will be available to pupils attending local schools provided they have satisfied the minimum test score (ie ‘passed’).

• Pupils attending schools outside the local area are, however, encouraged to apply as the School always admits significant numbers from outside the local area, especially from Essex. If fewer than 115 ‘Southend’ girls ‘pass’, these additional places will be offered based on position on the Order of Merit, irrespective of postal address.
SPEEDYMUMMY

Post by SPEEDYMUMMY »

Hi there, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I have checked with the council and they also state it is dependant on the location of the primary school not the home address. A difference in passmark of 10% does not sound too bad, I thought it was higher - I will have to look at the score threads to which you refer. My interest is in SHSB though, sorry should have mentioned before. It just seems like such a small chance compared to the in borough places. SHSB is always so popular and very difficult to gain entry even with a pass in the 11+. Eveyone in this forum is passionate about a grammar eaducation for their DC, I am just trying to ensure my DS is on a level playing field with the other children in the borough.
moved

Post by moved »

For SHSB only 29 places were awarded to out of borough applicants. I think it will be the same for the boys schools that 115 places must be offered to in borough applicants who pass and then places will be given by score. WHSB has taken boys with a lower score within borough in recent years and have offered places down to the passmark.

Obviously your chances will be higher within the borough than without, but will the education that is currently provided be better than the education your son will receive in your catchment school? I find it deplorable that you live within the borough and do not qualify for even access to a place whereas home educated children do qualify. There are many families who pay for an education within Southend so that their children will gain a place in the grammars more easily when they do not live within the unitary authority.

You have not said what year your son is in. Does his primary prepare for the 11+? Do many of the children from his primary make it into the Southend schools?
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Hi,

I know you've said that you're interested in SHSB, but in case WHSB was an option for you, this year they took a huge number from out of catchment - I think it was somewhere around 130. This was because they did not receive as many applications from in borough children who made the pass mark. My son is in year 7 at WHSB and we are thrilled with it

Hope that helps!!
SPEEDYMUMMY

Post by SPEEDYMUMMY »

Sorry for the delay in responding. My son's primary school has only 1 class per year and they do not prepare for the 11+ at all, so will need a good tutor. Last year 1 child went to SHSB but they are very few and far between.

Someone suggested it was better to be out of catchment as there are fewer boys going for approx 25 places rather than 700 odd for 125. It's all rather confusing as to what score they get and how they are ranked. Are all the children together in 1 long list or are the in borough places allocated first then the out of borough ones?

As for the home school angle - that is an interesting point!

We did think of WHSB but SHSB is walking distance.

sorry, DS is currently YR 3 - planning ahead! He is very happy at current school and has excellent SAT results.

Advice always appreciated. Thanks.
moved

Post by moved »

I posted this on another thread earlier today

"If your child is educated within the borough of Southend then you are "in catchment". This means that your child is guaranteed a place in a Southend Grammar as long as they reach the 303 mark. Out of catchment means that your child will be awarded a place in order of the score that s/he receives."

Edit:
The passmark for SHSB has been as high as 313, but this is still lower than the out of catchment scores.

The upshot is that is should be easier to get an in catchment place over an out of catchment place.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now