NVR Scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bodski3

NVR Scores

Post by Bodski3 »

Hi

Our primary school does not do CAT tests and so the only additional info I have apart from the SATs are the NVR scores. I was told that the score for reading was 118 (2yrs 4 months above age) and 130 was the score for spelling (4yrs 7 months above age - 97th percentile).

Having never received anything like this before, can someone tell me whether this is good? I know it sounds bizarre as the ages sound good, but there are so many figures banded about it's difficult to interpret what is good enough for appeal.

Thanks for you help.
tiredmum

Re: NVR Scores

Post by tiredmum »

Bodski3 wrote:Hi

Our primary school does not do CAT tests and so the only additional info I have apart from the SATs are the NVR scores. I was told that the score for reading was 118 (2yrs 4 months above age) and 130 was the score for spelling (4yrs 7 months above age - 97th percentile).
help.
NVR means non-verbal reasoning

do you mean your school does NFER tests in reading and spelling?
Bodski3

Post by Bodski3 »

Hi

I don't know what they are called! The school quoted them on p1 of the appeal summary sheet under section 5, "Other standardised test scores." This info, the ranking, VR score and SATs results are all I have.

What do you think?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi bodski3

They will be NFER scores - NVR is non-verbal reasoning, and would not be tested in isolation.

An appeal panel would expect to see scores of around 2 years ahead of chronological age, so your child's scores are good, verging on excellent.

Sally-Anne
Bodski3

Post by Bodski3 »

Thank you so much for your prompt replies. I'm just getting a bit panicky I think!