Slough Consortium - Non-qualification - 105

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dublin

Slough Consortium - Non-qualification - 105

Post by Dublin »

I would appreciate your advice as to whether to appeal to St. Bernard's due my DD's non-qualification.

Unfortunately she had missed out a lot of questions in the first test which I think affected the rest of the test. The enormity of the occasion hit her and she came out in tears.

She had been predicted to pass, had achieved very good scores in practice papers and has consistently been in the top ability groups at school.

Just after the test I took her to the doctor and he diagnosed her with a virus.

I'm sure she underperformed due to nerves and not feeling 100% well.

Do you think I would have enough grounds to appeal? Or are we too far wide of the mark?

With kind regards,
chad

Re: Slough Consortium - Non-qualification - 105

Post by chad »

Hi Dublin,

You will need excellent academic evidence of your daughters suitability for grammar school. A doctors letter explaining that she was diagnosed with an illness shortly after the test would help.
Because of the illness and the fact that her consentration was not 100% you do have a case..... it is the panel that will weigh up whether your academic evidence and mitigating circumstances out weigh the shortfall in marks.
Have a look at the appeals Q & A's and feel free to post back if you have any queries.
Use this thread so that we can keep all the details in one place. :wink:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid nerves rarely count as a strong extenuating circumstance, and if she had a virus, the panel will want to clarify exactly when she became ill, and whether she was well enough to go in to take the test.

No reason why you shouldn't see what the panel think of your case. The odds are probably against you with a score of 105 - but then the odds are against most appeals succeeding ........

As chad says, the academic evidence will need to be very good, and the more wide ranging it is, the better:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck
Etienne
Dublin

Post by Dublin »

Thank you Chad and Etienne very much your advice. I have looked into what I can get together before coming back to you.

I spoke to the headteacher of whom I have full support. The headteacher will provide a reference and a prediction of 5s for reading and writing for the KS2 SATS. I have end of KS1 SATS results as 3s for all 5 subjects.

My doctor is to provide a certificate stating that my dd had a virus at the time of the exam and that it could've affected exam performance. Albeit, I didn't know at the time she was ill and had put it down to nerves.

The tutor will also provide her test results (who was shocked at her not passing).

I have got together all of dd's school reports which are impressive. In her Year 5 report, the teacher mentions that emotionally she had found it difficult to cope with some situations making her feel sick. Is this something that is relevant to mention in an appeal?

I know there is a slim chance at appeal but wondered if I had some chance? It seems to be such a shame that she has such potential but didn't perform on the day. Something I'm sure a lot of parents can relate to.

With kind regards,
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Go for it...
I think they will ask you where your daughter will go to school should she not get in, and I think it is very important to say that you are unhappy with the school allocated. We were asked this, we answered truthfully that we were reasonably happy with the school we had got, although we preferred St Bernard's and I think it negatively affected the outcome. I also think that if you have a certificate form the doctor plus academic evidence, plus also some anecdotal evidence from her Y5 teacher about nerves, you have a shot. I have heard a rumour, but cannot believe it is fact that the only people that get through on appeal are those with illness as a mitigating factor, so you may be in with a shout. The last couple of years they have failed to fill the school with the numbers passing, so there have been some places left for appellants, you just need to go in and convince the panel that your daughter deserves it more than any others appealing.
I'm not sure how much weight they will give to the tutor's practice test results, so maybe don;t say too much about that.
Dublin

Post by Dublin »

Thank you for your reply and for being so supportive.

I will register my appeal before the deadline and I hear that I can submit my evidence thereafter once collated. I just hope I have enough academic evidence. My dd has also been predicted Level 5 in SATs for Maths.

Our most likely school allocation, if offered, would not encourage dd to reach her true potential and would not have the same nurturing environment.
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Dublin,
I am very sorry to hear your news, with your HD support and predicted level 5 sats,you should have a good chance of success, friend of mine has succeded last year to get his DD into slough on appeal.

have a look at this post which I have written on another thread,

Hi all,
SGS tests were very unfair in the way they were conducted this year.if you were in the morning session , the children were told not to mark the question papers otherwise they would have lost marks. The afternoon session was normal with no restriction imposed. As you are aware using the question papers to solve certain types is imperative. I believe certain classrooms in the morning had also no restriction imposed. So if you your child was disadvantaged by this mean and unreasonable demand then you have good ground of appeal due to the unlevel and unfair practice.

Post by Looking for help »

Hi dublin....just wondering if you got the result of your appeal yet? Wishing you much good luck
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Hi Stressedparent

Are you referring to children who sat the test on the Sat 6th (Slough children) or on Sat 13th (non Slough children).

Thanks