Advice sought re predicted grades and 11+ Schools

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hammypie

Advice sought re predicted grades and 11+ Schools

Post by hammypie »

Hi Well I am sat at home in a muddle with still no response from my dd's form tutor. At last parent meeting we were given our dd's predicted grades (she is currently in Yr 4). They seem pretty good. However, I am saying this but what does predicted mean and actually tutor feels on reading prediction is not high enough? So how do you know if what the computer has produced means she needs extra help or not? Staff keep saying she is a bright girl and has always worked above standards in KS1 on all subjects. so I am confused. I guess what I am asking is what grades would be considered good to very good. So with this in mind my next query is ... is it anything above a 4 is good or do they need to be at 5s? My head is in a whirl. So this brings me to my next question;

What grades would a child need to be achieving to even be asked to sit 11+ exams such as those at Dame Alice Owen School?

I really want to understand the system. I may also want to factor in moving so a lot to take in.

I would be so grateful if anyone could help to straighten out my thoughts and spare me some time. Otherwise, my dd is happy and enjoys sports too so not the be all and end all for us re grades I like to keep perspective I just don't want to feel confused anymore. I feel like everyone else gets it but me. Others seem to talk with real knowledge on the subject. I would like to also ...
tiredmum

Re: Advice sought re predicted grades and 11+ Schools

Post by tiredmum »

hammypie wrote: At last parent meeting we were given our dd's predicted grades (she is currently in Yr 4). They seem pretty good. However, I am saying this but what does predicted mean and actually tutor feels on reading prediction is not high enough? So how do you know if what the computer has produced means she needs extra help or not? ...
The predicted grades for key stage 2 sats are obtained by taking the key stage 1 results and projecting forward - they may from year to year adjust these depending on a dc's progress, that may depend on the school.

So a child with all 3's at the end of key stage 1 would be predicted level 5's at the end key stage 2. To have passed the 11 plus a child would generally be at level 5 or higher at the end of primary. To be able to take and pass the 11 plus, generally in a 25% of cohort pass rate area, the dc would need to be a level 4a or higher in subjects at the end of year 5 (IMO).

What level is youd dc now? and what are the predicted grades? :)
hammypie

Post by hammypie »

Hi Firstly thank you for sparing your time to respond. It is much appreciated.
Hope it is ok to give grades on here not checked that re the rules so apologies if I get this bit wrong. Predicted at moment are 5cs in both maths and English and 5c literacy but tutor feels literacy one would be more 5a as her reading so good. She seems to pick things up so quickly. I just, as any mum on here, want to do the best for her. So thinking about what you are saying the predicted grades really aren't high enough to comfortably be ok at 11+ exams or ? I thought DAO seemed so nice a chance for her to thrive etc. Tutoring has been suggested. Thank you again. :)
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i dont know what percent of your cohort pass - in my area 25% are deemed selective and most of those that pass are level 5 when leaving primary - we arnt given the sub level -we can ask - so i would say your dc is on target depending on what percent pass in your area?. Perhaps if you are unsure post in that area of the forum.
My dd narrowly passed our 11 plus - was in the top 23% - 2% are passed after the test at review. In key stage 1 she had two level 3's in reading and speaking/listening, 2a in writing and 2a in maths. By the end of yr 5 she was a 4b in maths and a level 5 in english according to the optional sats exam (although the teacher assessed har as a 4a in eng). She did struggle with the 11 plus maths.
When she left in year 6 she scrapped a 5c in maths and a 5b or 5c in english.
hammypie

Post by hammypie »

Hi Ok well perhaps she might be advised to have a tutor then. At the end of KS1 she was graded all 3cs (in every subject) she loves and by end of Yr 3 and I guess the start of Key Stage 2 (none of this was explained) so hence I am finding it a struggle.

End of Yr 3 results were

English 3/4
Maths 3
Science 3
and all other subjects 3s

Teacher defined as secure 3/4 in English due to her high ability.
Defined as 3s in all other areas which meant 3bs - again described as secure.

So any thoughts? Overall school said they are pleased for her. I wish they did a smiley that looked like a hug - you would get one. The willingness of someone to share their thoughts gives me a good feeling too receiving this from you. This is all so daunting and like I say I never knew there was a lot of emphasis on grades. It is tough ...
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

go and investigate on here what percent in your area pass - i say this because if 25% or more of your area pass then you dc is on track and i would say dont start any tutoring till end yr 4 start of year 5 - but if, as in some areas, only 10/15% are found selective you may need her to be of a higher standard and perhaps should start home tutoring or find a good tutor now. You have plenty of time so dont worry - just get to know your facts, also what is in your areas 11 plus - my area does verbal reasoning, maths and creative writing. Some areas only do verbal reasoning. Go onto 11 plus advice on this site and scout around :) good luck.

have a look at this

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hammypie

Post by hammypie »

You are a star - I am inspired. Yes, I am now going to spend some down time in the hols break to do more research as through your valuable feedback I can look at things like % like you say (never knew this before) so I feel more able to get a handle on things. This forum is great and I believe I will be on fine form to tackle things in the NY. You have given me hope where I had nothing but doubt. Great your dc made it through.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now