Looking for a little order....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tourist

Looking for a little order....

Post by Tourist »

Happy New Year to you all! I'm having a little trouble knowing where to start here. I've just been blowing the dust off our grammar practise papers from a couple of years ago and intend to start tutoring with DC2 who takes the exam later this year. We went through the process in fairly blissful ignorance last time and it definitely all seems much more terrifying this time around! :? I seem to remember someone on the forum giving a sort of 'ranking order' of papers from the easiest to the most difficult (Milla?) but I haven't been able to find it. I think that our January goal is going to be 'building confidence' (DC2's and mine!!) so would really appreciate one of you more experienced bods letting me know which papers you / your DC found the easiest. Ta.
KeepCool

Re: Looking for a little order....

Post by KeepCool »

Hi Tourist - I did it 3 times, sort of.... DS and older DD did very little in the way of preparation as there simply weren't the resources then - gosh I really do sound like the old fart that I am. It was less than 10 years ago, but this forum did not exist and there was not much for sale in the way of practise papers.

This time round I think it's been much worse - one reason being the glut of resources available, but anyway, to answer your question, my DD found the shop-bought Letts papers the easiest - they also sell them in the shop on this website. Good luck!
Tourist

Post by Tourist »

Thank you KeepCool, that's very useful - still have our old Letts papers so we'll start there! Yes, I completely agree that having more information available has only increased the anxiety factor this time around - although I'm hoping that this applies to me only and not DD! DD has her own issues to deal with like sibling competitiveness and middle child insecurities!!! Oh dear......
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

This is Patricia's reccommended order(from the bucks section,its worth a read as there is loads of advice).
Publishers which currently cover the 21 types required for Bucks include:
AFN [slightly easier]
IPS,
The Tutors [ middle range difficulty]
Learning Lab
Susan Daughtrey [very close the correct level of difficulty, use packs of 4 tests, NOT her books 1-7],
Walsh, [ [quite hard in some areas]

Hope this helps.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

turtleglos wrote:Susan Daughtrey [very close the correct level of difficulty, use packs of 4 tests, NOT her books 1-7],
turtleglos can I ask why you say not the books, I tutored my DS last year (very naive then) and only used these books and a couple of practise papers.

I really liked them, thought they provided just the right bite sized learning over a short period, although of course I had nothing to compare them too! Next time around, being a bit more informed, I would do more but would still recommend them. Is there a reason that I should not use them?
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Tourist, if you want really easy papers for confidence boosting, try the Tutors level 2 papers - right types of questions, just down a level difficulty-wise. Think they only do short 15 mins papers and you can download them from the e-papers bit of this site.

Pixiequeen
Tourist

Post by Tourist »

Thank you turtleglos and pixiequeen. I've perused Patricia's helpful hints and now have our low-carb menu planned for the week before the test - that I can do! Her order of papers was just what I was looking for though so thank you for the sign-posting. Pixiequeen, I like the idea of the Tutors' 15 min papers as a gentle start so will look into that too.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

My DS enjoyed doing those 10 minute tests ( blue cover, sorry can't remember the author and I gave mine away ).
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

IPS have a blue cover.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now