Come on then Medway - where are you all? (news enclosed!!)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rubyhettybetty

Come on then Medway - where are you all? (news enclosed!!)

Post by rubyhettybetty »

A little while ago before Christmas I did a Freedom of Information request to the Council...I had alluded before about the fact that in our school there are only 9 girls out of the 30 kids, and not all of those were taking the test, and I wondered if this was replicated across the borough...basically I asked for the split by gender for the 2 years of the kids who had passed the exam:

These are the results

Testing in 2009 (for 2010 admission) Testing in 2010 for 2011
admission Number of Girls who sat the Medway Test 1130 v 999
Number of Girls assessed as suitable for admission to Medway Grammar School 525 446
Number of Boys who sat the Medway Test 960 956
Number of Boys assessed as suitable for admission to Medway Grammar School 433 446

Sorry about the layout (copied and pasted) but basically whilst around the same number of boys as last year sat the test - a few more passed, but with the girls!!! 131 fewer sat the test, and 79 fewer passed. I was interested in this as we have FP as out 1st choice and would normally be outside the distance - I am hoping with this blip in numbers that we might just get in! I also imagine that there will be a great deal of scrapping for girls among the grammar schools with so many fewer girls in the pot? I know among our circle that RGS did not seem to have the appeal it once did - I reckon they will be looking on any appeals favourably :)

Just thought I'd chuck that in!
tiredmum

Re: Come on then Medway - where are you all? (news enclosed!

Post by tiredmum »

hi ruby
i think you stand a good chance of getting into fort pitt this year. Where i live last year was the first time that the girls were turned down from fp on distance. This year the mums have decided not to put FP in first place because of this! If others do the same that is even less girls in the pot for you to worry about! good luck :)
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

LOL - hurrah! I don't understand why people would do that though?!

Got DD2 to get through this years sitting now, although I fear we are not going to have the same outcome.....

xx
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I dont envy you going through this again but then you'll be done by september. Is this your last to go through the process? I will be worrying about reception place next year, so I still have plenty more years before thinking about secondary again. I would pass out repeating last year's experience again :lol:

How far are you Ruby from FP? Did you use the straight line thing http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/inyourarea/dist.pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to measure your distance? 7 miles looks like it covers the bulk of Medway unless you are somewhere like Hoo. FP seems to have had a bit more interest on here but people may say one thing and do something diff when it comes to actual form filling.
Impossible is Nothing.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Hi Sherry - no, a gap year for us and then DD3 coming along - at least FP has a sibling rule :-]

We are actually further out than Hoo on the peninsula, real country bumpkins :)

I used the AA routeplanner and it was just over 7 miles I think - FP *is* our closest school but it doesn't work like that...

I thought FP was 27 oversubscribed last year although that might be 27 appeals - dunno, but I was hoping 78 fewer girls would cover it....
jdwarwick

Post by jdwarwick »

Hello rubyhettybetty just thought I would pop in and pass on some information heard at the weekend (dinner party chat) came from a Medway primary ht. Both FP and RGS have more first preferences than places, but in both cases it's less than 10 over. Probably doesn't help the nerves much but thought I'd pass it on.
All the best
jd
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

That is terrible news - sob, we are right on the outskirts so probably in the 10 :( :'(
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

I am putting all my hopes in the Swale basket then - I need at least 5 people from Sheppey who were going to get the train to FP.....

I reckon some of Gravesend would be closer than us...

Gah - I'd all but put it to the back of mind before today!!! Now I am wondering should I have put RGS as my 2nd choice as they might see the opportunity to give us Chatham and still say they could accommodate all 1st and 2nd choices :(

More questions:
Say we don't get offered FP on 1st round, on distance.
Subsequently, some people turn down their offer.
Where do those freed us places go first? Would they refer back to us or once we've got our offer are we stuck with it unless we appeal?

HELP!!!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

If you dont get FP on march first go on waiting list stright away. Then if people turn FP down the school will offer from waiting list which will be based on distance. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now