Chances of Kent grammar for those living in Bromley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BeckMum

Chances of Kent grammar for those living in Bromley

Post by BeckMum »

Hello mums/dads,

We live in Bromley , hence wondering what are the chances to get in to a Kent Grammar , given that we are OCC. We didn't know this until recently.
Our DS is very bright in maths, not so good in english, hence not very confident he would get in to St Olaves which is a superselective.
If Ds sits for 11+, can we move in to Kent after we know the results. Or would he be considered OCC and not stand a chance.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Beckmum
sherry_d

Re: Chances of Kent grammar for those living in Bromley

Post by sherry_d »

Judd and Skinners in Kent take on scores only so anyone from anywhere can apply. They are still superselectives. Cut off for Judd this year was 415 while that for Skinners was around 410.

I am not sure how Dartford Grammars admission works but I have seen people on here talk about them so thats worth exploring or someone here may know.
Impossible is Nothing.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Pretty sure that both Judd and Skinners came down slightly from those scores on 2nd rounds and appeals if that is any help. Distance comes into play for a tied situation. TWGSB is on distance irrespective of passmark.

If I am wrong I am sure somebody will come along and correct me.

Have a look at the Judd and Skinners websites and also the KCC admissions criteria as it is all laid out pretty clearly there.

Good luck
Billie

Post by Billie »

There are a few boys who go to Judd from Bromley (mainly Orpington) area. I know of one at Skinners. Travel is easy especially if you live close to the station - 20 mins on the train to Tonbridge.
Distance comes into it for a tied score so if your ds got a score of 415 and the cut off is 415 then others living closer on 415 would get in before your ds. However, the likelihood is that he would get in from the waiting list.
I hope that makes sense.

Most from Bromley area however do look more towards the Dartford/Wilmington schools or Bexley.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I wasn;t aware we had second rounds in Kent
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorry Yoyo, meant waiting list. When places are given up for one reason or another and then everybody shuffles around. :oops:
BeckMum

Post by BeckMum »

Billie wrote: Most from Bromley area however do look more towards the Dartford/Wilmington schools or Bexley.
Thank you Billie ,could you let me know the specific schools you are referring to. Isn't there a distance criteria for those.
BeckMum

Post by BeckMum »

Thanks all lovely mums for their reply.

Inshort beckenham/Bromley boys only have the option of Super-selective schools like Judds/skinners/St Olaves. That means Boys in bromley have to be extremely bright to land a grammar school !! :(

Thinking of moving in to Kent so that I am not OCC anymore, however where to move, where to start. !!! Such a dilema. :?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

BeckMum wrote:where to move, where to start. !!!
Maidstone :wink:

You'll be spoilt for choice

....and on top of that you can try for Medway too.

but if they dont pass....the alternatives are underwhelming.
Impossible is Nothing.
Billie

Post by Billie »

Whereabouts are you?

Wilmington boys grammar - you just need a pass and then its distance. - Boys get in from Petts Wood and Orpington.
Dartford Boys Grammar- not sure if there is a high score needed but if so it won't be as high as Judd.

Bexley Grammar (mixed)- Bexley test and then distance
Beths (boys)- Bexley test and then distance
Chis and Sid grammar (mixed)- Bexley test and then distance

You are guaranteed the Bexley school of your choice if you are one of the top 180 scores (however I think this is out of over 4000 children usually).Otherwise, you need to be pretty close to the Bexley border to get in to their grammars.

Hope that helps.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now