NFER 11A which pack?

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pist

NFER 11A which pack?

Post by pist »

Sorry, am a bit confused: From which pack is the infamous NFER 11A? Have bought GL assessment, 11+ practice papers, non-verbal reasoning pack 1(papers numbered 1-4) and wondered if this was the pack?

Am starting preperation for my daughter's NFER VR and NVR exams (Tiffin), so bought this pack first. I am now wondering if we should start with something else/easier and leave this to much nearer the day (Jan 2012)?

Thanks
:D Pist
chicko-mum

Re: NFER 11A which pack?

Post by chicko-mum »

The infamous 11a is the one which is by GL assessment (pack of 4 papers), and not the new NVR papers published by Letts (also pack of 4).

Is your DD familiar with NVR techniques? If not then maybe some workbooks (can get these from the book store here) would be helpful before you start doing full papers. When you get to full papers, I would not do 11a first as it might demoralise your DD if she gets a low score. When my DD did that paper she was already very familiar with NVR and I also explained that this paper was more challenging than the others so she didn't feel bad about a lower than normal score.

Sorry, can't add anything helpful about prep for Tiffin except to say good luck and there's a wealth of useful info on here for those moments when you think you've lost the plot completely!
pist

Post by pist »

Ahh yes, thanks chicko-mum, that's the one I've got, 11A must be paper 1 in the new GL model. Will definitely keep for later! Have just noticed there is a new 4-pack from GL out in Feb too.

:D pist
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Pist, I am surprised you are thinking of these papers so early on when your DC has a whole year to go!! Have you tried the Bond Papers...the Nfer papers are best left to end IMHO.
pist

Post by pist »

JGBallard wrote:Pist, I am surprised you are thinking of these papers so early on when your DC has a whole year to go!! Have you tried the Bond Papers...the Nfer papers are best left to end IMHO.
Well that's my conclusion too after reading on this forum - Have put the GL papers in the back of the cupboard for now and am now looking around to decide where to start. Have previously used Bond for other subjects, but it I sense they might not be ideal preperation for nfer nvr tests - as they contain a lot of stuff which is not relevant - Or have I got the wrong end of the stick :?:

:) pist
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Pist, your request for info is very specific and I think perhaps you should wait until after March 1st to gain info for your DC who is sitting the test a year from now. I am sure you are aware that some children have still not taken the test and to ask for such specific details ...well someone else might get the 'wrong end of the stick' and think you want this info for another reason. If I was to tell you whether the Bond Papers are sufficient or not - what you are really asking is ...based on the test just taken..were they sufficient...that is more information than I think anyone whose DC has taken the test this year would be prepared to give.....I am sure you understand that ALL of our children deserve an equal chance....late sitters should not have any advantage over others and in that light I feel you should think about waiting for info or referring to other threads (as we all did). :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

pist wrote:
JGBallard wrote:Pist, I am surprised you are thinking of these papers so early on when your DC has a whole year to go!! Have you tried the Bond Papers...the Nfer papers are best left to end IMHO.
Well that's my conclusion too after reading on this forum - Have put the GL papers in the back of the cupboard for now and am now looking around to decide where to start. Have previously used Bond for other subjects, but it I sense they might not be ideal preperation for nfer nvr tests - as they contain a lot of stuff which is not relevant - Or have I got the wrong end of the stick :?:

:) pist

I do like the 'how to do nvr' by Bond, it has lots of useful tips but for some areas eg Kent some types are not relevant. However anything that trains your brain and hones the skills needed or NVR is useul. Bond suggests jigsaws , spot the difference, games like Tetris etc. There is not much material available for NVR

I often start with an Nfer paper just to see where to start.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

JGBallard wrote:Pist, your request for info is very specific and I think perhaps you should wait until after March 1st to gain info for your DC who is sitting the test a year from now. I am sure you are aware that some children have still not taken the test and to ask for such specific details ...well someone else might get the 'wrong end of the stick' and think you want this info for another reason. If I was to tell you whether the Bond Papers are sufficient or not - what you are really asking is ...based on the test just taken..were they sufficient...that is more information than I think anyone whose DC has taken the test this year would be prepared to give.....I am sure you understand that ALL of our children deserve an equal chance....late sitters should not have any advantage over others and in that light I feel you should think about waiting for info or referring to other threads (as we all did). :D
Information about past tests is available on this Forum if members post it here.

Why is there suddenly paranoia about a new parent wanting information about publicly available test content ? :?:

Sally-Anne
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

I wish I had known before my DC took the test that info for the Tiffin Test was 'publicly available'. I don't think there is 'paranoia' it is just the timing of this new guests request for info. If as you say it is 'publicly available' surely the guest can refer to this source. Our DC sat this very competitive test today- and it is today that this request for info is being made. Wouldn't you agree the timing is unfortunate and that we should err on the side of caution/suspicion?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

JGBallard wrote:I wish I had known before my DC took the test that info for the Tiffin Test was 'publicly available'. I don't think there is 'paranoia' it is just the timing of this new guests request for info. If as you say it is 'publicly available' surely the guest can refer to this source. Our DC sat this very competitive test today- and it is today that this request for info is being made. Wouldn't you agree the timing is unfortunate and that we should err on the side of caution/suspicion?
No.

Parents arrive on this Forum at many different points in their child's life, and someone turning up today is hardly surprising! Whenever 11+ tests take place in any area there is an influx of new members on this forum because parents hear about the tests, they go home and they Google.

Natch.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now