Tiffin Girls School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gorgeous

Tiffin Girls School

Post by Gorgeous »

Hello there. Can anybody tell me the answers to the following questions please. I have tried trawling for information on this site, but to no avail. Many thanks in advance :)

1. How many girls sat the entrance test in 2010?

2. How many girls passed?

3. If you put Tiffin as your 3rd preference on CAF, and you consequently change your mind, and are allocated a higher preference school, if your DD achieves a high pass mark at Tiffin and would have been allocated a place, can you change your mind and say you would like that school place instead? Not sure if I have phrased this question clearly. e.g.:

On your CAF form you put your three choices as:

1. Nonsuch
2. Wallington
3. Tiffin

On 1st/2nd March you receive a letter telling you your DD has been allocated Wallington. You also receive a letter from Tiffin, telling you your DD scored very highly, but you have not been offered a place because you have been offered a higher preference, can you change your mind and say you want to take the Tiffin place that you would have been offered had you put them higher on preference form. :)

Also when you get your letter from LEA does it say that you are being offered a place at a certain school, or that it is your daughter's school place - no argument.

Sorry for being so long-winded and being so ignorant of the system.
hermanmunster

Re: Tiffin Girls School

Post by hermanmunster »

Gorgeous wrote:Hello there. Can anybody tell me the answers to the following questions please. I have tried trawling for information on this site, but to no avail. Many thanks in advance :)

1. How many girls sat the entrance test in 2010?

2. How many girls passed?There is PASS and there is GETTING A PLACE - 2 different things, many pass but don't get a high enough score - will try and find some more info

3. If you put Tiffin as your 3rd preference on CAF, and you consequently change your mind, and are allocated a higher preference school, if your DD achieves a high pass mark at Tiffin and would have been allocated a place, can you change your mind and say you would like that school place instead? Not sure if I have phrased this question clearly. e.g.:

On your CAF form you put your three choices as:

1. Nonsuch
2. Wallington
3. Tiffin

On 1st/2nd March you receive a letter telling you your DD has been allocated Wallington. You also receive a letter from Tiffin, telling you your DD scored very highly, but you have not been offered a place because you have been offered a higher preference, can you change your mind and say you want to take the Tiffin place that you would have been offered had you put them higher on preference form. :) not sure that you will get the score if you put it as lower option???, if you do find out the score and want to apply for a place - you will have to ask to be put on the waiting list

Also when you get your letter from LEA does it say that you are being offered a place at a certain school, or that it is your daughter's school place - no argument. You are offered a place - you can take it up if you wish - if you wish to appeal for somewhere else you are entitled to do so

Sorry for being so long-winded and being so ignorant of the system.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

message from last year
oesmugso wrote:Tiffin stats from our letter this morning:
1171 girls sat

Waiting List:
237:1
236:5
235:8
234:6
233:7

Glad to say our DD got a place. No more of this in my life! Good luck to all those still waiting.
Gorgeous

Post by Gorgeous »

Thank you so much Hermanmunster! Does that mean that if my DD is offered a higher preference I will never know her Tiffin score? :cry:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think you can contact the school and find out.

Has your DD taken the exams this time? If you are looking at next year I think you have to be careful about your CAF before putting her through too many tests.
Gorgeous

Post by Gorgeous »

She has already sat the test (6th Jan). What happened was she sat for Nonsuch and came out very upset - she was completely shell-shocked. She is very young and it was the first exam she had sat and we had not 'hot-housed' her because she is so young. She is also very sensitive.

To our surprise she passed, but with a score of 206 and, I gather from this site that that's not enough to secure a place, even in-catchment.

She then sat the Wallington test and came out much happier and she passed that too, but we have no idea what her score was.

When we filled in the CAF we put Nonsuch as our first choice because we thought we had nothing to lose and it genuinely is our first choice. We put Wallington down as 2nd choice hoping she has scored highly enough to gain a place and we put Tiffin down as 3rd choice thinking that we might tutor her for it.

Then I found this site which has been fantastically helpful and i tutored her myself, and she gained so much more confidence - we used to do it together and compare our scores and sometimes I would let her 'beat' me.

She then sat the Tiffin test and was four months older and better prepared. When we went to collect her she was very pleased with herself and said that she felt she had done very well.

At the time of filling out the CAF Tiffin was a bit of a pipe-dream - never really thought she was up to it, but she has really come on recently, probably because she is older and has gained confidence from passing 2 out of 2 entrance tests. My DH and I are now wondering if we have made a mistake because we just assumed she wouldn't be offered a place at Tiffin anyway. Now we are surprised at finding ourselves in a position of thinking, Gosh, I wonder if she did well enough to be offered a place....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

if that is the case then you can find out and if the score is high enough you can put her on the waiting list. Very unpopular with other parents who are on the WL with lower scores, but it can be done.
Gorgeous

Post by Gorgeous »

Thank you. I can completely understand how it would be gut-wrenching to see your DC move down a waiting list.

We would only be in the position of usurping another child if she is offered a place at Wallington and scores highly at Tiffin and we would only take that route if DD says she would rather go to Tiffin anyway, so all of this could be completely irrelevant.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. If there is anyone out there who knows how many girls passed Tiffin last year I would be interested to know anyway. Thanks again.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Gorgeous wrote: If there is anyone out there who knows how many girls passed Tiffin last year I would be interested to know anyway. Thanks again.
Tiffin doesn't have a pass/fail system. It offers the higest ranking girls up to pan and then goes down the waiting list. So, to get a place (ie 'pass')you have to be in the top 120 and have it as the highest school on your CAF for which you qualify, or get in off the waiting list. If you search the Surrey forum you can find out how far down the list Tiffin has usually gone, but in generally the answer is not very far.
mad?
Gorgeous

Post by Gorgeous »

Thank you mad :D