Kent Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

Kent Grammar schools

Post by katel »

I don't really need to know to this, so please nobody go to any trouble to answer me butI am really confused by the situation in Kent. I know that in Tunbridge Wells area, it's very important to get very high marks because of the "first past the post system" Does this mean that if you don't make the cut -which seems to be someting like 140 140 137- then you dont get a grammar place? If so, that seems even more unfair than the system where we live (Canterbury-ish) where if you pass, you get a place - and usually in your first chioce grammar. For example, my daughter passed. Not brilliantly - 136, 129 and 117, but she passed, and she got a place at her first choice grammar, which sits comfortably in the top ten in Kent. If I understand it correctly, those marks wouldn't have got her into a grammar in other areas. How is that fair? And why are there spaces in all but one of the grammars in our area? Am I missing something? Very likely, because I didn't even take the 11+ - never mind pass it!

Post by Guest »

In our area (N London) you compete against the cohort not marks. ie the top 180 in the exam get offered a place. Tough if 179 children get 100%, one gets 99% and 100 get 98%! This system seems to vary from area to area so I don't think you can compare your daughters marks in one area to those acheived in another - unless the exam and standardisation is exactly the same.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Hi Katel - In Tunbridge Wells area ther are grammars that only require a basic pass to get into ie this year 120/120/115 and that is Tunbridge Wells for Girls and Tunbridge Wells for Boys and I think Weald of Kent. We placed TW Boys as first choice and were successful. Applicants are accepted on a geographical basis. However, Judd, Skinners and Tonbridge Girls operate their own admissions system and end up having a high cutt-off. Applicants are accepted in score order, regardless of where you live, so end up having a higher pass mark. This year for Judd the cut-off was a combined score of 413 and Skinners 404. I'm not sure how Tonbridge Girls operate, as I only have boys, but the cutt-off was 409. However, the TW Boys grammar is a large school so can easily accommodate all those local children who can get a basic pass. It is confusing but at least there is a grammar available for all those who pass, regardless of high their score is, providing they live in the right catchment! Hope that helps!

Post by Guest »

Hmmm
Judging by some of the other posts on this site I'm not sure TWBG could take everyone this year. Apparently some kids in West Kent have been offered grammar places as far away as Ashford!

Post by Guest »

Very true- my son has a place at his first choice Grammar- Maidstone Grammar School but a boy in his class, who lives locally has been given a place at Norton Knatchbull in Ashford. We live near West Malling, the London side of Maidstone.
That's quite a trek every day. I don't know if he'll be going by train or not- but that's still a long journey and Ashford International Station isn't exactly next door to Norton Knatch!

Post by Guest »

There are also successful applicants for the Tunbridge Wells/Tonbridge schools from out of county. Surrey, East Sussex and West Sussex kids often apply and are successful. May make a difference to numbers applying and thus raise the score required to get a place.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Sorry - when I said that everyone gets a place, providing they live in the right catchment - I should have added that that usually means all those who live right in Tunbridge Wells! Obviously if there are a large number accepted from within the town, then this will affect those living further out. My main point, however, was that one does not need a high score to get in, which is the same as the grammar in the Canterbury region. I think it's probably fair to say that there is always going to be a risk with living a certain distance from these types of schools, who recruit on geographic distance.
katel

Post by katel »

So what's so special about Judd, Skinners and Tonbridge Girls? And how do they justify not admitting anyone but those with near perfect scores?
guestkent

Post by guestkent »

Not sure about Tonbridge Girls Grammar but Judd and Skinners are foundation and voluntary aided schools, which as far as I understand means they can set their own entrance criteria.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

The thing that annoys me the most about the higher selective schools, is that people can be very igornant and assume that if you did not get into one of those, then your child was not academic enough. It's like they made more of an achievement. It's absolute rubbish and there are many in the wider-ranging score schools that got full mark papers and it was their first choice. It does create a bit of an elitist environment. Rather than a social class sytem, it becomes a social score system!