so,how is everyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muminTewkes

so,how is everyone?

Post by muminTewkes »

Well,its been the lull between results and those places being allocated.
I'm bored of it all now.
I hadn't thought of it for a while and now we are in the New Year its on my mind again..I want it over :!:
Hows everyone else doing?

DS1 has said a few times the last few weeks how he hopes he gets Pates(134 on list)and I keep playing it down as I did adore STRS too(so did he)
Turns out he's got this "issue"that he didn't *quite*scrape the golden 120...FGS child...*sigh*yes,yes,Ive told him over and over-but that's "him"also many,many people,children and adults alike,have appeared out of the woodwork saying how the exam wasn't that hard-their child could have passed standing "on their head"but didn't want to etc etc...I'm so not interested really.Why they feel the need to tell me I don't know.Its annoying though as DS1 is doubting his ability,weird,I thought it would have helped that side..has anyone else had similar?I don't understand people.At.All.
Poor child will give himself a coronary by 13 at this rate!How did I breed such a perfectionist :oops:

I hope he gets it now,not because its any better than STRS(for him IMO)but just so he can put his demon to bed so to speak!

Hmmm so,that was a ramble...but just thought Id check in with my fellow 11+ers :D

Those envelopes will pop through the letterbox soon..then we can start to panic that it was all a dream and our LO's will be sat,confused and friendless in the corridor,too scared to enter the hothousey classrooms... :wink:
Milla

Re: so,how is everyone?

Post by Milla »

Hi, mumintewks. I'm not in your boat but felt sad for you with all those views and no answers.
Fraid everyone falls victim at some time or another to the knocking brigade, rise above it, smile sweetly, ignore. Easier said than done when your blood's curdling and you want to thwack 'em I know. And, like you, I have No Idea Why They Do It!!!
Having a child at Pate's and STRS, I can reassure you that your child would be fine at either. My older boy is very content at Tommy's, will not countenance the thought of moving for 6th form (in y9 now) even though the early mornings are not our bag. Really, don't think of it as two-tier at all with Tommys's being some low-rent consolation prize. The boys in DS1's group are just adorable. No superiority or arrogance, just lovely boys.
What will be will be - the limbo will soon pass. :D
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

I'm a year behind you - DD is in Yr 5 - so we've just been getting familair with the types of questions in the VR papers and thinking about which schools to apply for.

There are always parents who want to play one-upmanship, sadly. Just ignore them - they clearly have their own issues to deal with! And be proud that your child has done so well :)

Weaver
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Im with you. I just want to know where ds1 will be going next year. I had to fill in my holiday form for work this week. They needed to know when I want my holiday from april 2011-april 2012. How am I supposed to know when ds1's holidays will be if they differ from the norm,also inset days etc?? :?
I also keep thinking that I must have dreamt the last 5 months or so and that I am going to wake up and find he still has to take the test! :shock:
At least people are beginning to speak to me outside the school again. Thank goodness for some good friends.
My ds1 had the same thing when he won a national poetry competition last year. Classmates saying they would have beaten him if they had entered. Thats like me saying I could win an olympic marathon if I entered(or even 100m) :lol: :lol: Not worth losing any sleep over.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Milla

Post by Milla »

turtleglos wrote:At least people are beginning to speak to me outside the school again. Thank goodness for some good friends.
My ds1 had the same thing when he won a national poetry competition last year. Classmates saying they would have beaten him if they had entered.
WHAT!?!??!
I tell you, people say, "Awww, don't you miss going up to the school now that both of yours have left?" NO I Do Not. Bunch of ratty old vipers. I think all these things have a shelf life. Mine was probably the 7 years of the first one and the final 2 I had to tag on to see DS2 through Y5 and Y6 were the last straw. Thrilled to be out of it. Women can be ghastly. It may well be a defensive thing but they (or lots of them, some fine examples to the contrary of course etc etc) don't think about the impact their oneupmanship has on others.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Move to the Forest we get none of that. Possibly a little too laid back around here :D
chatternatter

Post by chatternatter »

Hi to all, this is now the longest six weeks to wait, been really busy and not thought about it and now it seems to keep bubbling back to the for front .

My daughter passed for ribston and hsfg, 219 and 215, she is hoping for hsfg, but we no this just may not be a good enough score, can anyone tell me if this number has achieved entry without going throu appeals which i really dont want to do.

I hope everybody else is holding out, not to long to go.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Don't quote me, CN, but Denmark Rd told my friend (similar position) that they've never not taken anyone who got 210. Never is a big word and what I've said could be construed as z sweeping statement but historically the girls have always got in at the lower end (cf the boys) AND this year significantly more girls got the Pate's score than in the last few years thereby freeing up even more places in the girl's grammars AND there are more spaces for girls than for boys. So I'd say that the future was quite rosy for girls who have passed.
HTH...
capers123

Post by capers123 »

chatternatter wrote:My daughter passed for ribston and hsfg, 219 and 215, she is hoping for hsfg, but we no this just may not be a good enough score, can anyone tell me if this number has achieved entry without going throu appeals which i really dont want to do.
I can't remember the scores for HSFG (it might be worth searching the previous two years forum messages), but you can be absolutely sure that she'll have a place at Ribston. Appeals for Ribston over the last couple of years have been for non-quals, not oversubscriptions.

As for the 'never taken anyone with 210', well, they may not have offered a place to someone with 210, but the appeals panel might well have allowed an appeal for 210 or lower. I've not done HSFG appeals, but have certainly allowed appeals for scores much lower than 210 in very rare circumstances (As in granny killed favourite pet the night before the exam, then set fire to the house to hide the evidence, the child sitting next to this one in the exam started poking her with a sharp pencil every 30 seconds, she lost her lucky sixpence and academic reports, SATS & CATS were saying she was the most able pupil the school had ever seen).
I hope everybody else is holding out, not to long to go.
Wibble. Trying to forget the forthcoming letter. It'll sneak up quicker than you expect - only 28 days in Feb!
Capers
MOOSHOO15

Post by MOOSHOO15 »

My DD1 scored 216 two years ago and is now in Year 8 at HSFG.

Chatternatter, I hope your daughter gets the place she wants at HSFG.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now