Patricia, Mike and other 12+ test in april

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Desperate 12+

Patricia, Mike and other 12+ test in april

Post by Desperate 12+ »

Patricia/Mike do you tutor 12+?????????

I have read many of the recent topics on this forum, but have not yet been able to find the appropriate help for 12+. In comparison so much information is available for 11+, if only we were here a year ago............

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.......can any one who has taken or are taking 12+ help...........

Are all the 11+ techniques tested for 12+ as well or is it just the ones sent in the sample paper?
Is vocab at a higher level?
Is there any papers apart from the ones PATRICIA is recommending for 11+?

Many thanks in advance.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are a number of threads on this. Patricia has posted on this - all 21 types still included.

The main differences are 85 questions in 45 mins [11+ 80 in 50 mins] and only one paper.

The other thing is the format of the answer paper - I have posted on this as this was a significant barrier for my child. However despite that the result was way over the 121!!

If you can't find previous posts get back to us!
Sally-Anne

Re: Patricia, Mike and other 12+ test in april

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Desperate 12+
Desperate 12+ wrote:Patricia/Mike do you tutor 12+?????????

I have read many of the recent topics on this forum, but have not yet been able to find the appropriate help for 12+. In comparison so much information is available for 11+, if only we were here a year ago............

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.......can any one who has taken or are taking 12+ help...........

Are all the 11+ techniques tested for 12+ as well or is it just the ones sent in the sample paper?
Is vocab at a higher level?
Is there any papers apart from the ones PATRICIA is recommending for 11+?.
Please calm down! :!: My son is taking the 12+ on 4th April and I have also been in denial for some months. We are both living in panic city!

The sample paper is utter rubbish. I hear a rumour (unconfirmed) that Type Z never appears in the 12+. Vocab is at the same level, and your child is a year older. So far, so good.

As your child is taking the 12+ this year (i.e. 2007?), you need to swing into action straight away. There is absolutely no hope of getting a tutor at two weeks notice - you have to DIY.

Buy the Tutors CDs (1&3 only) from this site, and they will arrive within 24/48 hours. Forum Admin will always try to get them to you in 24 hours in an emergency! Just ring the number for the siote and explain.

Work through one complete set of question types (vertical) once and then look at those that are problems, less than 85% or thereabouts. Then just ask your child to work on the remainder "horizontally", i.e. the same question again and again.

If there is no improvement on problem question types, come back to us. Someone will give you advice.

I wish you the very best of luck - please register on the Forum and then PM me if I can help you further. Or just empathise, scream or whatever!

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Desparate

To add to the above, very good, advice....here is a copy and paste of a previous post....

Late transfer is Verbal Reasoning, multiple choice, 85 questions, 45 minutes. It would appear to cover the 21 types [plus an odd maths type] BUT as its only one test, there will be only about 12/13 appearing.

In addition, the children are NOT allowed to mark the question booklet, they are given a separate piece of paper for workings out. The answer sheet is a tad different too. eg..a...a compound word question...

[A. all B. old C. sty ] [X.so Y. sow Z. led ]

The answer styled would be answered by putiing a line next to C and Z on the answer sheet.

County will send a small practice test with confirmation of 'allowing to test'
----------------------------------------

The papers I have suggested are the relevant ones.

My children have never indicated that the vocab is any harder.

The standard is the same as the 11 plus, but expect to complete 5 questions more, 5 mins less and different design to answer sheet

Patrica
12+Trepidation!

Post by 12+Trepidation! »

Oh Yes! Things seem to be quiet on the subject 12+ . For Sally-Anne: In your opinion, Will there be enough time to go through 2cds? If not which of the two (1 and 3) do you recommend.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Trepidation

Some children are totally captivated by the CDs and weld themselves to the computer from the moment they arrive. (Unfortunately my son isn't easily fooled - he can spot the difference between work and a computer game at 50 paces!) If that happens you might, just might, get through two, but I would recommend buying only one to start with - you can download the second one straight away if you need it.

I actually bought the CDs rather than downloading them because I want to use them over the next 2 years with my younger son and I don't trust my computer to hang on to them for that length of time!

I would go for CD 1, purely because it has been around longer and has been pretty comprehensively debugged by now - there are always small errors in 11+ materials, as Mike Edwards of the Tutors freely admits.

Very good luck!

Sally-Anne
12+Trepidation

Still CDs

Post by 12+Trepidation »

Thank you Sally-Anne and Patricia, I think you have provided all the answeres I need. Whre have you been all my live? Well the last couple of years! Thanks and good luck Sally-Anne. Keep up the good work both
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

12+ trepidation -

The good news is there are places at 7 Grammars this year - which one(s) have you listed?
12+Trepidation

12+

Post by 12+Trepidation »

AGS and RLS. How did you know there are spaces Guest55? Fingers crossed!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I asked the LA - they are quite helpful!

I think that both AGS and RLS may be up to their standard number - but don't despair - I know both schools do regularly go over after successful appeals.

Which one is your catchment school? An appeal for that is more likely to succeed.

Focus on supporting your son to get the 121+ - then, if necessary, you can get support for getting a place!!