Question- What % students get to grammar school in Rugby

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DarkEnergy

Question- What % students get to grammar school in Rugby

Post by DarkEnergy »

I have seen it quoted elsewhere that grammar schools target the top 25% of students in a given area.

My question is what percentage of students in Rugby get to a grammar school.
Rugby High, LS and Ashlawn total about 240 places.
So at 25% there would be 4 x 240 students in the area = 960 students.

I sort of recall that about 800 sat the 11plus in Oct 2010, so about 30% of those who sat the 11plus will pass, instead of the supposed 25%.

However, there is also a huge number who did not take the exam. Considering the catchment area, I would guess that the number eligible to sit the 11plus for Rugby schools is very high (well over 2,000) when one includes Nothamptonshire, Leicestershire and the wider extremities of Warwickshire.

My figures are very much guestimates, so does anyone actually know what the real statistics are? My gut instinct suggests to me that instead of the top 25% we are looking at top 10% or even less.

I look forward to your responses.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
MoJo

Re: Question- What % students get to grammar school in Rugby

Post by MoJo »

?
confused.com....
Have you not answered your own question in the 30% rather than 25% - I followed it until that point! such as a quarter (25%) of 800 is only 200, hence the figure increased to 30%. .....I will follow with interest!
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

I'm not in your area but I was able to work out the figure for our area (Redbridge) quite easily.

The Secondary Admissions booklet supplied by our local authority lists all the schools in the borough and the number of places available at each one. With that information you just total the number of (state) school places available in the borough and work out the proportion of them that are grammar places.

In Redbridge it's 7.5%. :roll:

Edit: Sorry, I realise that it may not be so clear-cut if the grammar catchment area isn't identical to the local authority area.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Warks is in a generally similar situation to B'ham. Only a small minority of possible candidates actually take the test, and a substantial number from out of area take it. It's probably a bit meaningless to try and work out a percentage for places like these that have a few GS rather than the full grammar/secondary modern system.

GS places represent about 7% of secondary places in B'ham (c.1000 out of 14000)...but it's said that about a quarter of GS places go to out of area candidates. On the other hand only about 3600 took the old KE test (c.600 of the places). So what's the percentage? Is it 7% (1 in 14 school places), or 17% (1 in 6 candidates), or 5% (supposed percentage of Y6 in B'ham getting a GS place)?

Mike