English Bac

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

English Bac

Post by hermanmunster »

Discussed last year as being a qualification obtained by getting GCSEs in english, science, maths, mfl and a humanity (geog or his).

Going to be included in the tables published on wednesday. While I am happy that the plan is to recognise this basic set of GCSEs in the future, it is now a bit like moving the goalpost as many kids will not have done (or be doing) the necessary GCSEs - some not doing MFL and others not picking Geog or His

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12139650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gloucestermum

Re: English Bac.

Post by gloucestermum »

DS came home last week with his options letter-they wanted a rough idea of what subjects the boys intended to choose.They mentioned the English Bac,and suggested that all boys should definitely select a language and a humanity to gain this new qualification...........

GM
Looking for help

English bac

Post by Looking for help »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12163929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone else think that it is crazy to add a new measure of ranking schools without letting anyone else know or is it just me? My children's grammar had quite a low Eng Bac score compared to the other ranking 5 A*-C incl Maths and English (100%) which I guess means that the options they took 2 years ago were wide enough to allow them to not take a humanities subject.
The comprehensive my youngest goes to while having a very respectable 5A*-C score (80%) had a completely horrifying score regarding the English Bac

And I quote.....Education Secretary Michael Gove says he wants parents to "go compare". I think he is a complete mongoose, myself, curious as to what others think
emmajane1

Re: English bac

Post by emmajane1 »

It is shocking how low even the grammar school's % of children achieving a mfl GCSE is. Mind you my daughter's school only gives 2 options to cover all arts, humanities, music, tech & MFL. She will have to chose directly between history and a second mfl.
Looking for help

I expect a large number of schools will be busy retyping their options booklets a we speak. However it does seem a bit unfair to rank them according to a set of criteria they were not aware of. :roll:
marigold

Post by marigold »

My daughters Grammar also has 100% A*-C but 83% Bac.

The Headmistress sent us a newsletter explaining why this seems low, something to do with subjects taken/chosen, not sure I understand how it works but I am not going to worry too much as they were also in top 15 for GCSE's in the country.
This will be the first year they are taking the European Baccalaureate in the 6th form, much more interested in those results!
Looking for help

This year's score is merely a reflection of options chosen 2 and a half years ago, not a measure of how well the school is performing.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Agree it's ridiculous. Gove says he wants parents to have a choice and then limits the choices the schools are likely to give.

Schools will now be forced to make the children take those subjects in order to keep their scores up.

My DSs GS only got 73% for the EB, but the kids have to do 3 sciences, RS and a MFL, so like I said on another post, if a child decides to do 2 MFLs and not History or Geog, then they won't be counted.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

of course in 2 -3 years time they will miraculously have improved.....
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I have to say that the EBacc conforms to what I would expect of a GS or an Indie. I accept it is not suited to all schools but I would be feeling very conned if my GS did not perform well on this scale.

I signed up for the 11+ so that my DC would get a traditional academic education. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now