11 plus exam 2007!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zed_1978

11 plus exam 2007!!

Post by zed_1978 »

Hiya all,

I am new to this forum and i am based in Birmingham. I would like my son to take 11 plus but have not started preparation...

Can anyone give me any advice in regards to DIY tutoring for the 11 plus? I have no idea where to start? what resources to use? what topics to cover? how to encourage and motivate him? He struggles with his literacy, how can i help him improve?

Thank you

Regards
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hopefully all your questions can be answered here.........

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=11

It's the link to the Birmingham Section of this web site.

Good Luck

BW
zed_1978

Post by zed_1978 »

Hiya all,

Thank you Bewildred, I have tried the Birmingham section but am not having muh luck...

Regards
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi zed_1978

Your starter for ten is the following link - the Birmingham section of the site homepage.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plus-birmingham.php

Hope that helps.

Sally-Anne
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hello Bewildered!

I would suggest that you start off by working through some of the Bond books with your son/daughter. They are all graded according to age so you can start off with the book that is relevant to your child and see how they get on.

We used Bond and started when our children were in year 5 which gave about a year to prepare. Bond have books in English, Verbal Reasoning and Non Verbal Reasoning, and Maths. The tests at KE have sections on all of these, so your child needs to be up to speed with all 4 areas.

We also used a comprehension book by Collins that you can buy at WH Smith. The children have to be able to remember a passage so I used to read a passage out to my daughter and then ask her questions about an hour later. She really enjoyed doing it, so your child might too.

Later on just before the test we did question papers by NFER Nelson, which seemed a bit harder than Bond, but less ambiguous.

Good luck in your preparation - we tried to be laid back about it so that the children didn't panic at any time. By the way my children both go to a KE school in Birmingham.
zed_1978

Post by zed_1978 »

Hiya all

Thankyou fo your advice...

KE Mum, what is the title of the comprehension book you used?

Regards

zed_1978
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

I am really sorry I can't remember. I know it was published by Collins and I think it had a picture of a parrot on the front and was quite expensive for the size of it.

Having said all that I don't know if you really need one. I used to read her paragraphs from a story book like the Hobbit and then make up the questions myself.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now