Bucks Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slough mum

Bucks Appeal

Post by slough mum »

Hi - I am new to this website so please go easy on me :)

I have a few questions:

I have my Bucks Appeal next month and wanted to find out that if a school is undersubscribed (i.e Burnham GS) then are the panel likely to offer a place? (ie are the chances greater to succeed in the appeal)

As some appeals are being heard in Jan, are these given more priority over the ones heard next month?

I have Burnham GS and Beaconsfiled High on my CAF, will the appeal be for both schools or the one on the top of the CAF?

Are appeals more successful for Burnham or Beaconsfield? (ie is there a greater chance of getting into Burnham or Beccy)

Thanks in advance.
hermanmunster

Re: Bucks Appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Slough mum and welcome:

my understanding is that the appeal is for the exam and is not related to the school you are applying for. The panels will not know if schools are under or oversubscribed at this point so it makes no difference.

If you are successful at appeal then you will get the first school on the list for which you are eligible.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Herman is right. The appeal panel will not even know (and will not want to know) which Bucks grammar schools you are interested in.
As some appeals are being heard in Jan, are these given more priority over the ones heard next month?
No!
This question has been answered here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... th#p219772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be a good idea to look at other threads that have been posted on here, and also the Q&As (follow link at top of page).

You have a lot of reading to do!
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Thanks for all your help.
slough mum

Re: 11+ appeals

Post by slough mum »

Please can someone confirm do you need to take your child's school books to the appeal, or will photocopies be acceptable.
As my child's performance has fluctuated and I don't want to take the books, I'd rather take photocopies.
Thanks
Etienne

Re: 11+ appeals

Post by Etienne »

It's your choice what evidence you produce.

However, if you take photocopies of selected pages, the panel may well realise why you're doing so (you have something to hide!).
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi slough mum

Thank you for the message to the Appealsbox.

A letter from your GP will be needed as evidence. I assume that you made the GP aware of the changes in your daughter's condition at the time of the 11+? The panel are likely to feel that is more relevant than the general background over several years, so written confirmation of the timing will be needed, if possible. I would mention the history briefly, but just enough to give the panel an understanding of why the problems at the time of the 11+ presented her with particular difficulty.

I am concerned that a panel may ask if the changes to her treatment could have been delayed until after the 11+, given that her condition was stable, so be prepared to address that point. Having said that, I would hope that a panel would view the situation with some sympathy, although you must still prove the academic case above all else.

Do the fluctuations in your daughter's schoolwork correlate with changes in her medical condition at all? If so, further evidence, with dates, from the GP could be helpful.

Sally-Anne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Thanks Sally-Anne

I have letters from consultant dated back to 2007 when the medical condition and treatments was started, and letters from every appt attended.

I also have literature on the medical condition and on the treatment with side affects. Will this be sufficient, or do I require more info?

Of course I will be taking school work too :-)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think a panel may find a large number of letters from clinic appointments + medical literature too much to take in and effectively analyse at the time.

I would suggest that you ask your GP (or consultant) for a medical report (you will probably have to pay for this) - listing the course of the illness and key dates., they may also include some info on the side effects of medication and the condition itself. I suspect 2 sides of A4 like this may have more effect than a large bundle of letters.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi slough mum

I suggest that you take the past medical evidence with you in a file to the appeal - weeding out anything that is really non-essential, such as "your next appointment will be on X date".

You can then say that you have brought the file with you to the appeal, and you will submit it with the school books at the end so that the panel can verify what you are saying, if they wish to.

A simple print-out (one page) from a reliable source on the internet could be a handy back-up in case someone queries the condition. You could then hand that to the Chair alone and say "I do have some background information here that verifies the symptoms".

I don't think it is really necessary though - the condition should be well-known or self-evident to panel members, and they would need little more than confirmation of it from the medical files.

I am more concerned about the immediate time before the 11+. Do you feel that you can answer the questions I raised about that, and provide evidence?

Sally-Anne

(Posted after herman's post, and with more inside information that herman has. Sorry hermie!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now