Textbooks

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Junior

Textbooks

Post by Junior »

Hello all, can anyone recommend good textbooks for Maths, Science and English for year 7 and 8. I am particularly interested in books that will help to teach and also with plenty of questions to practise. Have you used and materials and found them invaluable and effective, please let us know. I recently came across and have shortlisted 2 texts; Heinemann (Connect) and Oxford (Framework). Any advice welcome. Merci
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

CGP, are highly recommended. Cover most area's and levels, with workbooks, revision guides, and questions books.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Sorry Bewildered, I have removed your link because it can be considered as advertising and it is against the forum rules...

Rule 4: No Solicitation or Advertising

We understand the importance of other resources and information available on the internet relating to eleven plus exams. We do not object to postings making genuine recommendations to such websites however, due anonymity of postings we are unable to distinguish recommendations from blatant advertising by third party commercial enterprises. We will therefore allow promotion of government websites only in the forum and will remove any direct promotion of other sites.

We also prohibit solicitation of funds such as donations, aid organizations, etc.

I think that the rest is OK, and will check with forumadmin...
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Sorry about the fuss...
As a moderator, I suddenly had doudts about the rules on advertising that I would have had otherwise...

I can now add that my son uses the CGI books at school for sciences, and I also find them very good. He has a workbook for each subject and a revision book with everything in a compact form, very handy...
solimum

Post by solimum »

The good thing about the CGP books (of which I have almost a complete set of GCSE revision guides!) is that they are written in a humorous way, with occasional jokes and bad puns, which makes them attractive for private teenage revision (with a helpful page of questions for mum to ask at the end of each topic). I wouldn't use them as the only textbook to learn a subject from though
Y

Post by Y »

Slightly off topic, but don't forget the Horrible Science books. Not so many people are aware of the Murderous Maths books in the same series, which present everything from probability and algebra to shapes and numbers in a humorous fashion.

Y