WHERE DO I START?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Confused Mum!

WHERE DO I START?

Post by Confused Mum! »

My daughter is currently in year 4 and I would really like her to attend one of the local grammar schools, I believe that she is capable but am obviously looking for someone who can advise me as to whether she really is. Her primary school will not discuss with me in any detail, her teacher thinks I should wait for her to take the test and see how she gets on! HELLO!!!!! Her SATS results have always been top end and she has always been an achiever but I don't feel comfortable 'waiting to see'
Am I thinking about it too early and where do I go for advice if her current teacher won't help me! We live in catchment so she will sit the test at school. :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Did she get level 3s at KS1? Has she sat any optional tests since then?
Have they had any other tests of ability?

You are right not to wait!!

Post by Guest »

She got all level 3's at KS1 - one of only 2 children in the class to achieve all subjects including science at that level. They have been tested since but as the results aren't sent home I'm not sure what they are exactly!
What would you suggest I do?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

All level 3s at KS1 is above average and in my opinion, well on target for grammar schools.

Some primary schools have a low pass rate because the school discourages any form of preparation, and then go on to tell parents that only the extremely bright kids are grammar school material...
It was the case with my son's junior school...
However, grammars school places represent a third of all places in Bucks.

This not to say that your daughter is not very bright. Her KS1 results are very good. Just to say that you don't need to worry too much about how bright she is.. If you think that she is roughly in the top third, go for it...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Confused Mum

I agree with Guest55 - you are right not to wait. Your daughter is clearly achieving well and it is worth preparing her for the exam. Now is the right time to be either looking for a tutor or getting materials together from this site.

Take a look at the Bond series of books as a starter. They don't accurately reflect the Bucks 11+, but they are produced for different age ranges, so you can buy one that is appropriate to your child's age. They are also laid out in quite a user-friendly fashion - more like puzzle books than exam papers. Get your daughter to work through them and see what sort of results she gets.

If that encourages you then consider the IPS series of books & papers. I personally like them more than other books because they always refer to the "Question Type", which is important if you need to come back to the forum for help on problem areas. You can back those up with the Tutors CDs, (VR Nos 1 & 3 only for Bucks) which allow her to practice individual question types over and over again.

I find it increasingly irritating that so many people report a lack of cooperation from teachers and schools on the 11+. What is the attitude of you daughter's Head teacher towards it? I really do hope that it is better than the class teacher's attitude!

Good luck
Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All level 3s sounds like Grammar school material to me -

We had the same experience as Catherine - Primary saying 'only the very brightest can go to Grammar' - I knew this was wrong as I was teaching in one!!!

Just follow the preparation outlined on this forum - for now lots of reading and vocab practice.

Keep posting and, if you register, you can PM other members with individual questions.
Confused Mum

Post by Confused Mum »

Thanks all - I'm on the job now and have registered, so now I have a plan I'm off to see the head teacher and see if she can be more helpful!
Where is the best place to look for a tutor?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Personal recommendation is always best. Ask people who have older children who they have used.

If the results from the early tests are encouraging, do consider DIY though. You can waste a lot of money on a tutor!

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Confused Mum

It is far to early to start on the 'Real Thing'

As Sally-Anne suggested, you could use Bond books like quizz books, just to get the feel of Verbal Reasoning.

You should also ensure your child reads out aloud to you at least 3 times a week, making note of [and explaining ] all unknown vocabularly [ the hardest part of the 11 plus]

Ensure all maths operations are up to date, thats multiplication up to 12 [ which will take care of the dividing] and subtracting and adding using numbers under 150

After Christmas [ year 5] start the following....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=2272

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Glad to see you've registered - welcome!!

Most of us on here did DIY which is OK with the support of this forum - you are better spendng the money on the material suggested. If your child does not respond then maybe a tutor might be useful.

You can just download the free vocab list - that's a good start.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now