Bucks appeal help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Believingmum

Bucks appeal help

Post by Believingmum »

I am due to appear before Bucks appeal panel on Monday. DD has 114 & 118.
I have compiled all the academic evidence and we have very strong excruciating evidence. DH is unwell and some other circumstance that affected DS close to the exams.
Her performance dipped at school last term but She passed all the mock test and another county exam very well

She is currently attending a preparatory school. His VR score from school is 121 and she had 140 in one of the other county exam she sat for. The problem is the HeadTeacher gave recommendation in academic section 1 and attitude 3 which I am extremely unhappy about. She had beautiful recommendation in his school reports as she takes exam every term at school.

Can anybody advice on what to do as I am close to tears as I write this.
Etienne

Re: Bucks appeal help

Post by Etienne »

Don't worry about this - panels are much more interested in the recommendation grade. After all, the 11+ is a test of ability, rather than attitude.
Etienne
Believingmum

Post by Believingmum »

Many thanks Etenne, does it matter if we are OCC and she is coming from a Prep school? I have also included the result of other county exam she passed. will this help?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Believingmum wrote:Many thanks Etenne, does it matter if we are OCC and she is coming from a Prep school?
No, not at all.
I have also included the result of other county exam she passed. will this help?
If this refers to an 11+ in another authority, then I suspect not. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Believingmum

Post by Believingmum »

Thanks Etienne, does this mean it's going to count against my case as I have already submitted the results. Do they normally give the professional details of appeal panel member as in my letter, they have addressed them as ‘lay’ Chairman and ‘lay’ member.

Is it alright to include the reasons why we want the school for our DD even though we are occ?
I am really terrified as I have to go on my own. DH is unwell, will this affect my case?
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Believing Mum

I appealed last year for my DS we had low scores and a very complex case. After much concideration I decided to go it alone by choice and I believe the panels often only get one parent turning up for all sorts of reasons. It was the right decision for me and I won my case.

Although, it is quite formal set up the panel do make you feel at ease, they are not there to try to trip you up or make you feel inadequate, they just want to get the facts so they can make an informed decision.

Good luck
Believingmum

Post by Believingmum »

Thanks Morning Glory. I am just very nervous and overwhelmed about the whole experience..I have had a sleepest night. God help me tommorrow.
mama me

Post by mama me »

I would recommend taking:
school reports
any test results from school, reading spelling test -but have the tester sign and verify results
Any proof of evidence of ability. I had partial Ed Psych results as my daughter was being assesed for dyslexia. She came out in Top 1% ability. The panel did not accept as sufficient evidence as the full report was not available! (she was half way through her assessment, completed in March).
Also would recommend recording the appeal to ensure you have an accurate record of proceedings.
Be very clear of how you think the extenuating circumstances affected the performance.
Think about all the questions that could be posed around your evidence.
Be over prepared.
Good luck :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Believingmum wrote:Thanks Etienne, does this mean it's going to count against my case as I have already submitted the results.
No - but probably best not to make a point of highlighting it again. I don't think it does any harm, but I don't see how the panel can give it any weight if the two results are not directly comparable.
Do they normally give the professional details of appeal panel member as in my letter, they have addressed them as ‘lay’ Chairman and ‘lay’ member.
All you are told in the letter is whether they are 'lay' or 'non-lay'. They will say a bit more about themselves at the hearing, but it's up to them how much they tell you.
Is it alright to include the reasons why we want the school for our DD even though we are occ?
No, this is not about the school - it's about whether your daughter should be 'qualified' for a Bucks grammar school.
I am really terrified as I have to go on my own. DH is unwell, will this affect my case?
No, as MG says, panels are used to parents turning up on their own. Much better, by the way, to be terrified than over-confident.

Some good points from 'mama me', but officially the recording of a hearing would not normally be permitted (Code of Practice, para. 2.26), and I would strongly advise against attempting a secret recording.
Etienne
rubyrubyruby

Post by rubyrubyruby »

good luck believingmum...all the evidence of appeals logged here on the site is that the panel will only be interested in the data and not in how you present it. Many people comment that they feel the panel got the data out of them despite their nerves and poor preparation. Take the data on performance with you, and be ready to point to as many examples of high achievement as you can. Most of all try to sleep tonight and trust that they will be experienced, well qualified and trained people who will dotheir best to help you through the process.

Good luck- I am sure many of us will be thinking of you

RRR
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now