Are we really this bad....?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

Are we really this bad....?

Post by Marylou »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/82 ... -life.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock:
Marylou
nigs

Re: Are we really this bad....?

Post by nigs »

I can definitely relate to a lot of this. Brings it all back.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

It was good to see how honest she was, that's quite refreshing :D I know this is now a world of heavy tutoring etc, but what I don't like, is the fact everyone is now thought of in the same bracket, whether they were heavily tutored or not. If only people knew how different things can be, yet I know people will just assume my child(and others) only got in because of it and not simply because they are very bright.
nia1999

Its not just me then .

Post by nia1999 »

It's not just me then.
Last edited by WP on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged to existing thread
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Every day in the summer sounds a bit excessive to me!
I am going to show my DD this article to show her I was not that bad then......even though we did do some of course!
:lol:
patricia

Post by patricia »

From age nine onwards, poor Raymond was put on the conveyor belt of my academic aspirations. I researched every single facet of the exam. I bought a guide for parents and endless practice papers. I found mothers whose children had already sat the exam and pumped them for information
Well she did not do her homework that well.

No child needs to do tests every day of the summer holidays.

She could have found this site quite easily and discovered the basics.

Not impressed.

Patricia
andyb

Post by andyb »

Midget Man wrote:It was good to see how honest she was, that's quite refreshing :D I know this is now a world of heavy tutoring etc, but what I don't like, is the fact everyone is now thought of in the same bracket, whether they were heavily tutored or not. If only people knew how different things can be, yet I know people will just assume my child(and others) only got in because of it and not simply because they are very bright.
DS2 (Y5) was told by one of his friends that "no one passes the 11+ unless they have a tutor" :shock: . Fortunately, DS2 had his wits about him and replied "well my brother did!", apparently the friend was completely stuck for words as he had never come across anyone who had passed without being tutored.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

turned me into an obsessed loon
Exactly. Me too. That's why I'm on this site.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
gertie

Post by gertie »

This meant that a bright boy from a council estate could get to grammar school because the 11-plus operated on a far more level playing field.

That bright boy wouldn’t stand much of a chance now. He’s been edged out by pushy parents such as myself with our tutors and extra test papers (all costing the earth) and the endless hours we put in coaching our children.

That's exactly what I detest so much about the 11 plus system - it's unfair on so many levels....where is this whole tutoring thing going to take us??? I came from a council estate and went to GS many moons ago (the last grammar intake at the school, 1976). It was great, there was no snobbery, no stress and a wonderful mix of down to earth and happy children at school.

My daughter did a few practice papers at home in the weeks beforehand as I couldn't bring myself to go down the tutoring route -it didn't feel right ....but I did fleetingly worry that I had put her at a disadvantage. Thankfully she passed and I feel happy that she did this by herself and therefore hopefully will cope well at GS. On the other hand her older brother didn't pass his 11 plus and is doing well at our local upper school, which is a good school and tbh he is far more suited to than grammar. He's in the middle of GCSE's.....much more stressful than the 11 plus in my opinion!

Some parents really need open their eyes to what they are putting their children through (never mind themselves) and be realistic about expectations and what is best for their children not just now but in the longer term :( . Incidentally my daughter's close friend (a lovely girl and fairly bright) was heavily tutored (squeezed in with other committments) and didn't pass. Her parents are what I'd call "quite competitive" and telephoned us following the results to say well done (they knew we hadn't tutored) and actually said they were disappointed with themselves for the way they had handled things. Interestingly despite their daughter getting close they have decided against appealing; they see the whole thing differently now. I hope they aren't beating themselves up too much about it.
pippi

Post by pippi »

patricia wrote:Well she did not do her homework that well.

No child needs to do tests every day of the summer holidays.

She could have found this site quite easily and discovered the basics.

Not impressed.

Patricia
She said he practised every day, not that he did tests every day. Since he did this at home it doesn't even count as "tutoring"? He was pinioned at the picnic table though...