Reading Day Vs Boarding place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrow123

Reading Day Vs Boarding place

Post by harrow123 »

Can someone please explain me the major benefits of taking a Reading boarding place rather than taking a Reading/QEBoys day place ?

Do all/most boarding children get better grades than day children
Does boarding students participate in more sports/extra activities than day children, I am sure they do but does it vary to a great extent

Please educate me the benefits that boarding students get than day students, even if both are in Reading school

I know we have to pay money for boarding place but not for day place

thanks for the help
mumoffive

Re: Reading Day Vs Boarding place

Post by mumoffive »

Reading School operates a postcode catchment area for day boys and if you do not live in the catchment area you are only allowed to apply for a boarding place
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

thanks

if Reading school offering day place and boarding place which one is more beneficial. day is free and money to be paid for boarding place. is it worth

does child progress well as a boarder than a day scholar

I know it all depends on child but general opinions are requested
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think most people go for boarding places either:
because the child really wants to board or
the home circumstances make it better for them to board

eg parents working abroad (state boarding schools often have a lot of forces children),
family home is a long way from anywhere.... eg the Isles of Scilly school, Ermysteds at one time.
Illness in the family causing disruption
parents working odd shifts.

etc etc, hopefully much of the time it is because the kid wants to do it - don't know if they do academically better or worse if they board. You would have to ask the school
mumoffive

Post by mumoffive »

Both my boys boarded as we lived outside the catchment area. Day boys and boarders gain similar examination results and go on to the same universities there is no real difference. Boarders receive help with prep every evening and both my boys were happy. There is a family atmosphere in the boarding house and I would certainly recommend the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now