Info provided by admission authority

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
appeals on the brain

Info provided by admission authority

Post by appeals on the brain »

I have been reading the School Admission Appeals Code Of Practice book and noted that under 4.28 (p25) that certain documents must be circulated to the parents before the appeal date
1) a written statement summarising how the admission arrangements apply to the parent - can I, the parent ask for detailed information eg exactly how many children were offered places, and where on their oversubscription criteria did they reach?

2) a statement referring to accomodation, class sizes etc - can I ask for a breakdown of numbers in each class in the school?

Can I ask for this information before the appeal hearing?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Errr ... which area are you in AotB?
appeals on the brain

Post by appeals on the brain »

Sorry what do yo mean by AotB !!
Etienne

Re: Info provided by admission authority

Post by Etienne »

appeals on the brain wrote: 1) a written statement summarising how the admission arrangements apply to the parent - can I, the parent ask for detailed information eg exactly how many children were offered places, and where on their oversubscription criteria did they reach?
I would normally expect this to be sent to you approx. 1 week before the hearing.
appeals on the brain wrote:
2) a statement referring to accomodation, class sizes etc - can I ask for a breakdown of numbers in each class in the school?
This should automatically be sent out approx. 1 week before the hearing, but the detail can vary from authority to authority. My local authority, for example, gives numbers in each year rather than in each class.
However, if you ask for more detailed information, then it should (within reason) be made available.

Regards
Etienne
Appeals on the brain

Post by Appeals on the brain »

I have just realised what AotB stands for !! see appeals are affecting my brain
I am in Slough and am appealing to a local Grammar school - my daughter passed and is on the waiting list but the school is oversubscribed
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have just realised what AotB stands for !!
Nice to see you're keeping up!

You can try asking for the information politely from Admissions. If they refuse or just don't deliver, try a request under the Freedom of Information Act via the appropriate department of Berks CC.

Sally-Anne
Alex

Post by Alex »

As in Etienne's part of the world this information is sent as standard for appeals for community or controlled schools here. Not sure that all foundation schools comply quite as well though. If you want to get hold of the information a bit earlier you can always request it by letter to the LA (if it is a community or controlled school) or to the school itself (if it is a foundation school or VA school, or if LA functions have been devolved to the governors).
Bronco

FOIA

Post by Bronco »

Since you are dealing with a public body, you can ask for information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000. They are required under this act to reply to your requests within 12 working days. If I understand it correctly, if they have this information, they should supply it to you.
Catherine

Re: FOIA

Post by Catherine »

Bronco wrote:Since you are dealing with a public body, you can ask for information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000. They are required under this act to reply to your requests within 12 working days. If I understand it correctly, if they have this information, they should supply it to you.
I agree, but is wise to use the FOI before the appeal?

Re: FOIA

Post by Guest »

Bronco wrote:They are required under this act to reply to your requests within 12 working days.
You are mistaken here - the law requires authorities to respond within twenty WORKING days, which means at least four calendar weeks.

I agree that FOI is not the appropriate way to get this information. If the school/LA do not supply it in a timely manner before the appeal you should either request an adjournment, or (if you feel a further wait would be detrimental to you and your child) ensure that it is a matter for the appeal record that you did not receive the info in a timely manner beforehand, and that consequently you have not had sufficient time properly to prepare your case. If your apppeal is unsuccessful, complain to the Ombudsman that you were effectively backed into a corner, whereby you were not prepared for the appeal, but also whereby you did not feel you could adjourn because it would have risked further delay/stress/time/trouble etc.

Appeal hearings are governed by principles of natural justice - in this case the principle that, before a hearing, you are entitled to understand the nature of the decision being appealed - if they have not told you exactly why admission of your child will prejudice the efficient education and efficient use of resources at the school you are not in a position properly to challenge the decision.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now