CRGS (hopeful!)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LancsMum

CRGS (hopeful!)

Post by LancsMum »

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, although I have been a regular reader for a few months.

My DS is in year 5, and says that he would like to go to Grammar School. Our options are Clitheroe Grammar School and Ermysteds Grammar School in Skipton. This means that we have to prepare for exams in English, Maths, VR and NVR which seems rather daunting.

I have spoken to a local 11+ tutor, and she advised us to work mainly using the Bond 11+ material, moving on to full practice papers near the time. Can anyone give me guidance on this?

Also, how much time we should spend on preparation, as I am quite concerned about “over-doing it” too early and it having a demotivating effect on DS.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

LancsMum
hermanmunster

Re: CRGS (hopeful!)

Post by hermanmunster »

LancsMum wrote:Hello All,

I am new to the forum, although I have been a regular reader for a few months.

My DS is in year 5, and says that he would like to go to Grammar School. Our options are Clitheroe Grammar School and Ermysteds Grammar School in Skipton. This means that we have to prepare for exams in English, Maths, VR and NVR which seems rather daunting.

I have spoken to a local 11+ tutor, and she advised us to work mainly using the Bond 11+ material, moving on to full practice papers near the time. Can anyone give me guidance on this?

Also, how much time we should spend on preparation, as I am quite concerned about “over-doing it” too early and it having a demotivating effect on DS.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

LancsMum
Hi Lancsmum and welcome to the 11plus!...

presumably you live somewhere in the borderlands between Skipton and Clitheroe? Are you actually in catchment for either? send me a private message if you are not sure.

The reason it matters is that Skipton offer well out of catchment and at the same scores as in catchment whereas OOC places are limited in Clitheroe - it has a more densely populated catchment and hence fills most from there.

Some people pass one and not t'other - seems to happen every year, presumably some people find VR and NVR just "click" and others don't.

I am really not sure which papers are best to try - but I am sure I can find out - I think my kids used Bond for Skipton but we didn't live in the area then so it was possibly just what their school was using....

Watch this space for pearls of wisdom (mainly from the Yorkshire crew - they are a bit quite over t'border)

Herman
East lancs mumof4

Re: CRGS (hopeful!)

Post by East lancs mumof4 »

Hi Lancs Mum and welcome! :D
My DD sat the CRGS exam a couple of years ago also three of my friends DC sat the exam in the last two years. I have put a little info on the other Clitheroe thread, but if you need any other info please just ask, by private message if you would prefer :)
Who said children became easier when they grew older?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now