Art

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
drummer

Art

Post by drummer »

My very academically able son is also very talented at art, the best in his year by far apparantly. Lucky boy. Now, option time is looming and doing Art for GCSE would mean dropping an academic subject such as History or Geography, he is doing very well in both. His Art teacher is dissapointed and is trying to convince him of the value of doing Art.

My thought are that 1) as he has real academic potential thathigh grades in strong academic subjects will open more doors for him 2) he will still have his talent which he could practise in spare time (without the pressures of imposed art coursework) and that he could prove his ability (if ever necessary) with a portfolio.

I would have no problem with my less academic son doing Art.

Any thoughts?
mike1880

Re: Art

Post by mike1880 »

When I was his age I wanted to do Art (I doubt anyone would have said I was the best in the year) and my father browbeat me into doing French for exactly your reasons. I got my own back by going from top in school in French in Y9 to an ungraded O-level. One volunteer is worth ten pressed men...

I would suggest you let him make his own decision on this; if he's already doing a hatful of academic subjects, Art will stand out a lot more than yet another one (esp. one like, dare I say it, Geography). And tbh I can't see either History or Geography opening any doors other than to the staff room some years down the line (ducks hastily).

Mike
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

If someone's that good at something they should pursue it.

Also, I agree with everything else Mike said.
drummer

Post by drummer »

What he really needs is to be able to take more options! He enjoys both History and Geography very much and would like to do both if possible.

I have also seen people post about Art GCSE that it has a heavy work-load and fo some has killed off their enjoyment of it.

What I am really asking is if my son decides later to move into a creative industry, will the fact that he hasn't studied art be a bar or will natural talent suffice?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Our academically able DD has always been very good at art, and still enjoys it as a relaxing hobby. Unfortunately she is not very good at art exams, or - for that matter - anything requiring large amounts of coursework. She is much more geared up for traditional academic exams. This resulted in a string of A* and A grades, and two Bs...for Art and Textiles.

The Art syllabus requires an inordinate amount of time to be spent on coursework in order to gain a top grade. It's possible DD might have done better had she done one or other of her two highly coursework-oriented practical choices, instead of both. I've just asked if she regrets having studied Art GCSE instead of a more academic subject, and the answer is no, she would not have changed anything - but accepts that she did not put in as much time as she should have done on it.

Art is a useful subject to have for a subject such as architecture, and would of course be ideal if not essential for certain creative careers, but it is very difficult to get a top grade in it and this might be worth remembering if your son is planning on applying for a university course that counts the number of A and A* grades at GCSE as a preliminary filter.

Hope this helps!
Marylou
East lancs mumof4

Post by East lancs mumof4 »

Hmm Drummer, good thread, which I am reading with interest as we are in the same position as you with DD. She is also academically able in year 9 and about to choose her options.
DD has been told she is exceptionally talented in Art and is constantly being asked to take it for GCSE. She is adamant that she does want to continue with Art to GCSE and possibly A Level. The trouble is, whilst in principle we agree that DD should follow her passion, she is meticulous and sooo slooow in completing every piece of Art work she does! :? We are worried that the amount of time spent on her Art is going to be less time left for her to study the other more accademic subjects. :?
This has just been confirmed with her recent exams, 25 hours spent doing Art prep verses 1 hour revision for other subjects! :shock: :evil: :lol:
What to do? :?
Who said children became easier when they grew older?
drummer

Post by drummer »

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Now, does Architecture NEED an art qualification or is talent as proved by a portfolio or similar sufficient?
drummer

Post by drummer »

and my son's ambition is to make money! That or be an army officer (aiming to be a full colonel at least!)

Architecture has been mentioned. But really, he is too young to have much of an idea, so aiming for open doors.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

As far as architecture or any other creative career is concerned, I think you have to supply a portfolio of work. I don't imagine it would matter whether this is prepared in or out of school, especially for a talented artist. If he does end up going for something that calls for Art A-level, it might be a subject that could be studied without doing GCSE first. Worth checking with the school. That way, the options are left open.

Edited to add - the army will sponsor officers for 3 years to do university degrees in certain subjects. I don't know whether they will be changing their scheme though, in the light of the increased fees.
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now